PowerMac Quick Silver help, please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Redneck1089, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I have an old dual 1 Ghz PowerMac (Quick Silver) and for some time now I have been experiencing OS crashes. Lately it has been crashing 2-4 times a day. What happens is I'll be using the computer, or it will just be left on with no one using it, and a black window will pop up in the middle of the screen saying to force shut down the computer by holding the power button.

I figured this might be caused by some messed up files or something in the OS, so I wiped the hard drive and did a clean install of OS X. It still crashes.
    Could it possibly be the hard drive which is failing?

Sometimes the computer also lets out a weird "beep" sound which is quite loud and then just shuts off. I thought that might be related to a high operating temperature, but I am not sure. The computer is not right up against a wall or in a room that's really hot.

I'm wondering if I should purchase a new hard drive and then just reinstall OS X yet again, or if I should just purchase an all new mac pro at this point.

If I purhchase a new hard drive for it and find it doesn't help, can I transfer the hard drive to the new Mac Pro, or my other G5 PowerMac?

2. Angrist macrumors 6502

Sounds like RAM.

Run something like memtestosx or the apple hardware test CD to see for sure. Otherwise, pull the RAM sticks one at a time and try to isolate the problem.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

First off, check to make sure the case is closed correctly and not crimping any wires (loose wire from a hard drive bay, for example). The RAM issues brought up above could also be a problem.

To check your machine's temperature, download this... a Macrumors thread dedicated to temperature is here...compare yours with similar machines see if yours is normal/abnormal.

4. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

5. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

my vote is a failing CPU module

the QS 1GHz seem to have CPU card issues, mostly related to heat.

if ram checks out (and I would troubleshoot that first), then have an Apple store run overnight tests on the CPU using their 'better' AHT program.