PowerMac ripoff. I'd buy one!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tahko, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Tahko macrumors regular

2. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

It might be nice if it wernt for that ugly "mercury" logo at the base, and the ugly "explorer" thing. Id still rather have the REAL powermac G5 case though.

3. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I hate it. Thousands of them out there, and I've yet to find a single pc manufacturer that appears to "get" design.

Mercury seems to have thought that the PowerMac was just some snazzy-looking aluminum box with handle sort of things built in. They missed the point altogether. In trying to capture it's essence they absolutely desecrated the industrial beauty that is the PowerMac G5. Clean lines no more!

Reminds me of a currently running Dell commercial where some unfortunate actor beams with pride while showcasing his brand new XPS notebook. Somewhere in there the voice-over actually refers to it as the "best looking computer on the market" (or something to that effect).

I'd almost have to conclude it's some sort of planned obsolescence ploy... "We'll make sure you're computer looks so ugly and dated that you'll be embarrassed to take it outside in a year or two."

I'm assuming fresh pc design will come about as soon as an innovative, attractive, user-friendly, secure, and stable os from Microsoft.
    READ: Sometime when the sun has entered its red giant phase, shortly before Earth is incinerated.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That looks nothing like the Power Mac G5 case. To speak plainly that thing is bloody awful! :)

5. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D :)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well unlike a few of you, I think it does look like the PowerMac. It does look like the PM, but not as nice.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Just sad to watch people try.

"Why are Macs so expensive?"

You try and build one.

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Wow. That. Looks. Horrible.

The only PC maker with some nack for design is Sony - they have nice desktops with clean lines. IBMs Thinkpads aren't too shabby either. You can never go wrong with minimalist black, silver (Mac Mini, PowerMac, PowerBook), or white (iBook, iMac)...

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Just goes to show you how good Apple designs their computers aesthetically. Others can try all they want, but they just can't get that *look* like Apple does, at least not yet....

10. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Imitation is the best form of flattery... Not.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193