Powermac Roadmap

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by topgunn, May 11, 2005.

1. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

There was something odd about the recent Powermac speedbump. One model, strangely, was left out of the updates but not cut from the lineup. The low-end Powermac is now slower than the mid-range iMac and it costs the same with out the benefit of a lovely 17" screen at no added cost. They could have at least made it a 2.0GHz machine and changed the video and standard ram a la the other Powermacs.

This machine wasn't dropped, but it will be soon, perhaps around WWDC. I predict that we will see a paper release of the Powermac dual core G5's at WWDC with shipping dates of very late 2005 or early 2006. Apple will drop the 1.8GHz single from the lineup around WWDC and move the 2.0, 2.3 and the 2.7GHz down a notch leaving a whole at the top of the lineup filled by the newly announced dual core G5.

My theory will be proven in just shy of a month and I can't wait.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, remember that they aren't a 1:1 comparison.

The PowerMac can hold PCI cards, have 2x as much RAM, and many more internal drives then the iMac.

So, I'm not so sure it's a valid point on the price comparison.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's also the machine with the newest architecture, and holds the same spot in the PowerMac lineup that the PowerBook 12 holds in the PowerBook lineup.

It's a crossover machine... just like the PowerBook 12 is an iBook in a PowerBook case, the current single processor PowerMac is an iMac in a PowerMac case.

It's also an entry level PowerMac.

What you are saying is Apple spent all that R&D money to let the machine die in one generation. ;)

Most everyone else is guessing that the machine will stick around and continue to use the iMac architecture.