Powermac spec changes...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by psycho bob, Apr 28, 2005.

1. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I was glancing at the specs of the new Powermacs and found the apple statement that these new machines came with exciting new BTO options as rather interesting. I can't see any exciting new options... BT is still the same (ie; not BT 2.0) and then I find that the modem isn't even included as part of the spec. It is now a £18.00+ option to add it. Granted as a modem most won't use it but for faxing I found it to be a useful addition. I realise that you could simply have deducted from the previous Powermac specs but it is a little ironic that you are actually getting less for your money.

Graphics card changes are now even more limited than before, still no mention of the Radeon X800 (at least not on the UK pages).

The RAM prices are funny, apple points out they are now cheaper; indeed adding two 512mb sticks is as cheap as just about anywhere else (if you ignore the fact they are taking away the standard RAM to put the upgrades in) but how is it if 2x 512 modules cost around £60 4x 512 modules can cost over £220!

Otherwise I suspect the changes and pricing are as we all expected (well feared). Lets hope the next Powermac upgrade will offer some technological talking points.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uhhh

That was really insightful, thank you.
    I love to ALWAYS hear complaints no matter WHAT the new specs are. I appreciate starting a new thread about it...I'm sure it was really something that needed to be brought to everyone's attention.

3. psycho bob thread starter macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Wow somebody got out on the wrong side of bed. I wasn't complaining, I just find apple's ability to multiply and drop components out interesting.

You don't like it then don't comment. There might be folks out there that do use a modem and should they buy an off the shelf machine will have a shock when they try to find it.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

heheheha!

Yeah, I think there was a *bit* of an overreaction.... :D

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I thought it was a good post and I was very interested to see that, for some reason, Apple decided to stop including modems with their Powermacs. Surely its not a cost issue. Its probably to reduce the heat emissions and to cut back on the noise. Yeah, thats it.

6. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

They also removed the option for 2x250Gb drives and replaced it with 2x400Gb.

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Don't worry, he always has someting rude to say.