Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Who cares what they call it?!

You must be kidding... :D

We are talking about APPLE MARKETING here.
The computing industry REVOLVES around these guys.... besides we have nothing better to do than to debate the name since we won't get an official peek until MAYBE late June at the earliest.
:p

I can understand their hestiation to say "Yes we are going to use the 970"... simply because PowerMac sales would dry up in an instant (but pretty much any other PC company will say things to this effect).

I'm for something new - G5 is just a continuation of an overused theme - but better than still calling it G4... hey we're talking Marketing here - so odds are it will be called G6!

How about the Power64?

I'm sure marketing will jump all over the 64bitness of the 970 - even if they ship it with 4 dimm slots. "FIRST 64BIT PC IN THE UNIVERSE" - or "64, which is 2 times 32!" or for a dually = "128 bits of sheer POWER!!!" - woah, entering reality distortion zone....

-Wyrm

Reed Black

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
With all due respect Bro it seemed like you missed my point completely. I'm simply saying having a debate over the name is TO ME pointless. Give me one example of a name that simply sucked for apple and consequently affected their sales. Do you really think that the name of any of their machines has affected their sales?!! If apple released the FASTEST 5GHZ 1000MHZ FSB 6gig DDR or whatever is the fastest ram- TOMORROW with a horrible name (which I seriously doubt) would it stop you or any of us from buying? I dont think so. To me Apple's marketing has been pretty good. They seem to do everything right regarding their products. Consistant and stylish in design and in product naming. Clear hip and cool. The issue is the speed of their current line up, PERIOD. Bottom line give me a FAST, EXPANDABLE, fairly priced POWERMAC and I'm happy. I dont care one bit about the name. Its not going to determine if I buy a machine or not. Thats all I'm saying. And trust me I do understand what you mean regarding marketing it is important and should be handled with care. But debating over the name and getting riled up like I've seen in some of these post is crazy "TO ME" my 7cents.

reed black

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.