Powermac won't shut down

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Invizzible, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    Suddenly, after 5 years of use, my powermac is refusing to stay off. I select "Shut Down" and it does. After powering down and being off for about 3 seconds, the power light comes back on all by itself and it reboots. While autonomous artificial intelligence is a cool thing, I'd really rather have full control of what my machine does. Anyone have a fix for this?
  2. Devie macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    Do you have any USB devices connected? You might want to try unplugging them, and then see if you can shut down correctly. Also, have you changed monitors lately? I've got a 19" flat panel monitor that does the same thing to both my G4 and my G5. If it's your monitor that's causing the problem the solution is simple ... just turn your monitor off first, then shut down your G4. Let me know how things work out.

4. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    Do you have any ethernet or modem cables connected? Have you bought a new telephone recently??

I had a couple of years ago a Compaq pc that kept switching on for no reason and would wake me up with the windows sound, very annoying!

Anyway turns out I narrowed it down to it did it when the phone rang and because we have SKY Digital TV which is connected to the phone line SKY occasionally ring in with software updates etc... and was causing it to wake up. So I turned off wake on ring and bang! stoped doing it! :)