Powermac X5 Professional Workstation (featuring IBM's PPC970)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by daveg5, Jun 8, 2003.

1. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

What do you expect Hardwarewise at the WWDC:
    Here's mine.

Powermac X5 Pro workstation
    1.4 GHZ 970ppc $1599
    Dual 1.6 970ppc $1999
    Dual 1.8 970ppc $2499
    all cdrw superdive $200 extra
    leftover Powermac 1.25 G4 $1299 Limited supply

Powerbook G4 12" 1GHZ 1MB L3 cache same low prices
    Powerbook G4 15", 17" 1.2GHZ 19W 970ppc same prices

iMac 15" 1GHZ G4 with 1MB L3 cache $1299
    Imac 17" 1.2GHZ 970 ppc 19W $1799

No ibook or emac updates
    tons of software updates and releases, final cul, etc.

oh and one more thing

2megapixal firewire based camera with flash and video conferencing stand and of course the new version of ichat.

2. daveg5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. biscool macrumors member

not gonna happen. We will get a demo of panther and new ppc970 powermacs and there will be talk of new ppc970 xserves. imacs will not have 970's for a while...

4. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

the new rumors says there will be an immediate aviability of the new systems

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I agree 100%...

Immediate availability of the rumor, with a free helping of vaporware for spice. ;)

6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I have really low expectations :( :

- no 970 (maybe we'll see a 970 equipped xServe)

- new G4 alu powerbook 15"

- panther preview, safari final (priced at $49,-), new apple office suite

vSpacken

oh, I really wish they would present a Gobi-G3 equipped cube for about $500,-
    ...wishfull thinking ;)

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hey daveg i'm not sure duals are going to be so prevalent after the 970 arrival and this is why. the 970 is going to scale up fast according to Ibm and other sources. the reason for all this dual stuff was because motorola was stuck. the 970 will go faster and faster and i think i saw where they had them going at 2.3ghz allready. then they will becoming out with a 980 dual core. with all this increasing speed and dual core and shrinking down the die there is only advancement in the 970. this was never the case with the g4 hence duallies etc etc.

8. daveg5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about the powerbooks, if not 970's i expect 1.25G4's at a minmium in 15"/17" versons
    o-able, this will allow apple to claim first 64m bit laptop and bring up the 12" to 1GHZ G4, as the ibooks are now at 900. could this be why the long wait on the 15"
    i starting to think the powermacs will only be single as apple always gives less then expected for powermacs for the last 5 years. however since the 970's are 25%-35% cheaper there is hope however apple may use that savings to offset the new case motherboard design OSX and Panther will love duals
    . 1.4-1.6-1.8 singles this year and possibly duals next year.
    a new camera/ichat for sure.
    " bottom imac must be 1GHZ now, because of the emac and there maybe with l3 cache, this makes the top imac at least 1.25 G4 hopefully with cache l3 1MB. I really think the imac will get an upgrade of some sort
    ibooks and emacs were just updated that just leaves the xserves which are always updated after the powermacs X5 as apple needs these towers out much more.
    Jan 04 Gobi G3 based cube $1.2GHZ $699 1pci slot or pc card slot. firewire in front covered, usb, airport, 32MB video with tv out with adaptercdrw or combo. no superdrive

9. KershMan macrumors 6502

no way they charge $49 for Safari unless they offer a free version with ads like Omniweb. Since Omniweb 4.5 is webcore, they would be foolish to charge for Safari and not offer a free version.

There are still too many free browsers available to sell Safari. Even Camino is a better choice over paying $49.

I use Safari daily and I love it. But I would not pay $49 for it when I can use Omniweb and Camino for free.

10. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Here's what I see in my crystal ball (note: I don't actually have a crystal ball):

- No workstation.

- Powermac 970 with near-immediate availability on at least one model.

- Powerbook 970 for at least the 15", but possibly over the entire line.

- Panther previewed (duh!)

- No iMacs, no eMacs, and probably no iBook, although the iBook is due for a major update, but that could come later this summer.

- While a digital camera would be nice, it sounds a little wishful. I'm trying to be more realistic.

I'd like to see the iBook updated at WWDC, but that seems unlikely. I do think it will go to a new processor (GOBI) some time this summer, though.

11. gopher macrumors 65816

Omniweb isn't free. Leave it running for awhile without refreshing the screen and you will be awashed with unlicensed over the webpage.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Safari isn't going to be freeware when its final? Not to sound stupid, but I thought Safari was going to be a free application, especially since its going to be more integrated into the OS in the future.

13. zuggerat macrumors regular

i just want the new powerbooks to come with PPC970's and cheaper ram...i need one so bad...i cant take all these pop-ups and viruses and failures on this stupid PC

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're referring to the AppleInsider rumour, it actually says "According to sources, Apple plans to make the Power Mac G5 available to the public following their introduction on June 23rd". Sure, that implies immediate availability, but doesn't explicitly state it to be true. Just pointing that out.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't see them charging for it. If they do, I'll just keep using the beta :)

16. zuggerat macrumors regular

i dont see why we hafta pay for software that comes with the operating system there hasta be a way to avoid this...when u buy a car u have a warrentee (spelling?) apple customers should be sold a plan where they dont hafta pay for UPGRADED software for a certain amount of time post-purchase of the system

17. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I think vollspacken was saying 49 bucks for panther (No way 129 for sure) and - or FREE for Safari.

Safari will be integrated into Panther not a stand alone pay for it app.

No way Apple charges for Safari when IE is free. Steve isn't that foolish :)

macboyx

18. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Powermac X5 Professional Workstation (featuring IBM's PPC970)

Those are some pretty optimistic fantasy prices. You think Apple's going to give up the margin on a new CPU, so quickly. They'll milk it. I'd expect bare bones for $1999 for a while. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

I'd buy the 17" 1GHz G4 iMac with 1MB L3 for $1799 but I doubt it happens. The performance would be too high. Apple likes to keep it's consumer machines from performing at their peak so as not to diminish the perception that PowerMacs are inherently higher performance machines.

19. primalman macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Powermac X5 Professional Workstation (featuring IBM's PPC970)

The 17" iMac is already $1799

20. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Safari is GOING TO BE FREE.

Hell, iMovie is free for crying out loud. I don't see them giving you iMovie, iPhoto, and iDVD for free (yes, its free, comes with all new systems), and then charging for a browser. Ridiculous.

21. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Re: Re: Re: Powermac X5 Professional Workstation (featuring IBM's PPC970)

Not with 1mb L3 cache. Going from no cache at all, to 1MB L3 would be a significant jump in performance class. And Apple would price it accordingly if they were to do it.

22. cubist macrumors 68020

Does Steve do "one more thing" at WWDC? I don't think so. He may take the opportunity to speak a little about the 970.

Because Apple outsources all production, they can't change all the models at once like that. At most we might see

1.4 GHz single 970 "PowerMac G5". With 512MB RAM, $2899.

15" Powerbook with 1.4GHz single 970, "PowerBook G5". With 512MB RAM, $3199.

No updates to anything else. No webcam (iChat will support a small variety of third-party USB and Firewire webcams).

Daveg5's prices are far too low. Even here, I may be estimating the prices too low. The bleeding edge is always costly.

And remember, Steve at WWDC is not announcing things to the world - the entire audience is under NDA. There will be leaks of course.

23. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: Powermac X5 Professional Workstation (featuring IBM's PPC970)

Try adding $1000 to each of those.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing those prices. But I'd have to say it aint gonna happen. ;)

24. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Cubist,

I would believe that last year. Not this year. In the post MacWorld NY world, WWDC is being used as a launch pad for the world. He is giving a keynote which you can expect to be broadcast and it will be used to at least introduce Panther and I expect at least talk about the 970. In this post MWNY world, Apple will be using it's OWN EVENTS to announce these things.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

MacBoyX

25. molain macrumors newbie

There WILL be a PowerMac (if not 970)

Greetings all! I can guarantee you there will be a PowerMac at WWDC - we just sold our stock at my local computer store, and our manager was grumbling about how the owner wanted him to wait until "the new PowerMacs come out on the 23rd" before ordering a new one. Ergo, we'll be seeing a new PowerMac. Whether or not that PowerMac contains an IBM PPC 970 is yet to be determined, but putting stuff together (esp. that Motorola's 7457 isn't due until this fall), I'm 90% positive that it will.

Also, I'd be very shocked if the 970 found its way into an iMac or PowerBook - it'll probably sit in the towers only for now. I'd expect a 15" TiBook too - the one they have now lacks all the nice features of the 12" and 17" (bluetooth, airport extreme, etc.) and is a November model...it's due.

We'll know in two weeks!