Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Frankly, i'm excited. The more rumors about specs helps all of to slowly put together the pieces on the new Power Macs.

new case
6 PCI slots (i now have plenty of room for my USB 2.0 )

One thing not mentioned was the Super Drive?
i've heard rumors of an upgraded one but not they seem to have died down. anyone have any idea about that?
:cool:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by TyleRomeo
Frankly, i'm excited. The more rumors about specs helps all of to slowly put together the pieces on the new Power Macs.

I suppose... but did you read it? They were incredibly wishy-washy on the specs... everything was "may or may not" etc....

arn

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by arn

I suppose... but did you read it? They were incredibly wishy-washy on the specs... everything was "may or may not" etc....

arn

mosr is getting good mileage out of the term "rumor" on this one( and i like mosr). with the powermac intro just weeks away( i hope...) it doesn't really do anyone any favors by being this vague. oh well, time will tell.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
I would be VERY happy if we saw two dual configurations.. .. I mean. it does make sense.. and would help apple push developers to make mp-aware apps.. but I'm afraid to ask how much green would it take to get one of em???:confused:

I am very anxious to see the new enclosure that has been talked about ... i'm thinking they're gonna play around with the titanium look.. like the new xserve and tibooks. and with the new architecture of the xserve .. i can't WAIT to see what the new Mo-Bo is gonna look like and how easy it'll be to get the thing open and put in new stuff in either of the 6 PCI slots!!!

amazed am i

atodd

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
between yourself
That should be "Amazed I am", if you want the correct Yoda syntax.

I would REALLY like a new enclosure. The current one is getting veeeeery dated. Dual 1.4GHz! That would be nice.

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
Current and next generation G4 minitowers

Yes, it all makes sense.
When the current (marginally improved) G4 minitowers were introduced, I understood right away, these machines would help Apple earn some easy money to be spent on developments towards Rapid I/O, DDR integration and the G5, e.g.

Now Apple sell these minitowers as trade-ins for PowerMacs 5xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx with nice price reductions. So the next generation must be up.

Well, DDR is running in the XServe, G5 is apparently still way out of sight and so seems to be Rapid I/O. Last I heard the latter technologies will be presented in the same machine.

All I'm wondering now: Will the new entry level G4 minitower be as affordable as the 800MHz is? On one of those 1GHz+ suckers Jag with QE should just scream! But I don't want to pay too much for 6 PCI-slots, 5 of which I would probably never use, because all I need is implemented on-board!

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
Originally posted by atodd
That should be "Amazed I am", if you want the correct Yoda syntax.

I would REALLY like a new enclosure. The current one is getting veeeeery dated. Dual 1.4GHz! That would be nice.

geez... star wars is taking over the world.. who said i wanted to sound like yoda.. which even yoda didn't sound like yoda in the new movie. i was dissappointed in his speech.. but very impressed with the rest...

anyway.. curious if they'll continue to drop off the L3 cache in the entry level.. (1ghz with no L3 cache is like ... ya know... 1ghz with no L3 cache!)

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
oh please fer the love o' god a new case. =)

I'd buy it if they put the current Dual 1GHz into a new case. As cynical as I am toward Motorola (and Apple's inability to kick them into gear... see? cynical! =) I need a new computer for pro work, but the El Capitan.... it served it's purpose well, but it needs to go!

-- justin

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
'An 8X AGP graphics slot rounds out a full seven beautiful expansion possibilities just waiting for the professional to drool over.'

Now that's interesting, because according to Nvidia, an 8x AGP card won't be available till 2003. Does anyone else sell 8x cards?

This is really sounding like a sweet machine, and if they have all that extra hardware space (6 pci slots) it will be a monster! Although if they move the power supply out of the case (Cube) it gives them enough room. I can't wait to see it.

So we know Time Canada won't have a picture a day before the show, maybe Time Mexico?:D

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Those specs certainly aren't bad..and whats more? they actually sound credible...MOSR is usually as accurate as rumor sites can get so they may be right once again...

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
This new Power Mac is going to be very nice. I’m waiting for Jaguar to be released before I pick one of these up (I rather have 10.2 installed then have to upgrade). I heard a rumor from a reliable source that the new towers come with Jaguar and the G5 chip!!!

eddively

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2002
Eagan , MN
actually, the Matrox card parphelia or something weird like that is supposedly able to saturate enough bandwith to make AGPx8 worth it. VIA just announced a little bit ago a Mobo with AGPx8 and DDR333, so this is a good step in Apple's direction.

Silver Dragon

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Minneapolis
Originally posted by robotrenegade
This new Power Mac is going to be very nice. I’m waiting for Jaguar to be released before I pick one of these up (I rather have 10.2 installed then have to upgrade). I heard a rumor from a reliable source that the new towers come with Jaguar and the G5 chip!!!

If that's what your source said, then they are not very reliable at all.

Why would Apple release a rack server with a G4 only to up the towers to a G5 2 months later? Since the G5 is supposed to be a great server chip with great SMP capabilities, this does not make any sense. If we get new towers (and all signs point to 'yes') they will be G4 and *might* have a new enclosure (although I think the G4 case is very nice as it is. One of the best an the market. Why mess with a good thing?)

Besides, even if the G5 comes out... WHO CARES?

gjohns01

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2002
ROFL

Originally posted by robotrenegade

You're joking right? We'll be lucky to see Jaguar in September let alone MWNY. There will be no G5s anytime soon. Try 2003. There will be no Firewire 2, no USB2, no ATA/133, and no AGP8x delivered at MWNY. Stop getting your hopes up because they'll be dashed on the rocks below.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
No Not again.

Amazed I am ! that anyone would try that G5 tactic again!

Its like the oldest fighting move in the book, like a telegraphed rabbit punch.

Blocked!

No! there will be NO G5 any time soon, I think that every one knows this, because it would have been in the servers.
I am just thanking the force that there will be DDR ram, so long in the making that its like the second coming, hopefully this will justify Apple to place it in a new case that will get a color change or something for the G5. When or if it ever comes.

Its come to the point that any G5 talk just irritates me.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
MOSR is so full of crap they start out saying-

but regardless the estimates are impressive -- 1.33GHz at the least, 1.5GHz at the best. 1.4GHz seems a reasonable middle of the road guess at this point

then finish by saying

It may be that Apple will go for a single 1GHz G4 in the entry level, Dual 1.13GHz and 1.4GHz models filling out the line.

They can't even agree on the entry level. So is it 1.33ghz or 1.0ghz? Looking at Apple's history, I can't see how it would not be 1.0ghz at the low end. Actually, it would probably be-

933mhz
1.0ghz
dual 1.13ghz

I wouldn't expect anymore more then what their history has shown.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
New case requests

My desires in the next Power Mac case:

- Add a 2nd 5 1/4 drive bay
- It's a pain to install additional drives on the bottom plates of the current case - ATA cables, usually, are not made to reach side-by-side drives. (I use the round ATA/133 cables to get arround that BTW) Go to PC-style internal 3.5" HD cages or something.
- Front mounted USB & Firewire ports would be nice
- Put the dang eject button back on the CD/DVD drive and make it trigger an OS X "Eject" request like the keyboard button does.
- Don't get rid of the big side-door style motherboard access. That is the best thing since sliced bread if you ask me!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Kid Red
MOSR is so full of crap they start out saying-

then finish by saying

They can't even agree on the entry level. So is it 1.33ghz or 1.0ghz? Looking at Apple's history, I can't see how it would not be 1.0ghz at the low end. Actually, it would probably be-

933mhz
1.0ghz
dual 1.13ghz

I wouldn't expect anymore more then what their history has shown.
Kid,

I think what MOSR was saying was that the hi-end will have a dual 1.33Ghz at the least, and that a dual 1.4ghz was most likely. The Dual 1.5ghz is at the most.

Then, they say that the lo-end would be a single 1ghz and the mid-end would be a dual 1.2.

They did not contradict themselves.

lo-end ---> single 1.0ghz
mid-range ---> dual 1.2ghz
hi-end dual ---> 1.33ghz, 1.4ghz, OR 1.5ghz

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Steve Jobs is the most anti-6 slot person I've ever seen, so I would not hold your breath for this one.

TL

SpiffyGuyC

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2002
Re: PowerMac/iBook Hints?

Originally posted by arn
iMac updates are discussed as well, with an ever-favorite topic - 17" iMac screens - rumored.

Apple wouldn't change the form of their most successful product in years so soon after its introduction, especially when they can barely keep up with orders as-is (not to mention production). Why lower profit margins by including a larger screen when the existing iMac is bringing in all the orders Apple is equipped to handle (and then some)? Not to mention the fact that Apple had to raise prices because the 15" screens were becoming costlier; thus it stands to reason that a 17" would not be economically feasible at this point. :rolleyes:

This is a tired rumor, and MOSR is full of it, as usual. The G4 specs are nothing new; more or less what was on the leaked motherboard configuration a couple of weeks back. The article really doesn't deserve this much attention.

-S

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
forget Gigawire

Why not make the first hard drives based on ethernet? For once the networking standard is faster than the peripheral standard.

Gigabit ethernet should be complimented by gigabit drives.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: No Not again.

Originally posted by Grokgod
Amazed I am ! that anyone would try that G5 tactic again!

Its come to the point that any G5 talk just irritates me.

G5 - ha. It almost a given someone it going to mention it, so it best not to take it seriously. Everyone wants one, we've been waiting for a while and we'll continue to wait. I'm just excited that it seems that the whole machine is getting a work over. I imagine the performance boost should be significant, but, and this is a big but (Krosfyter), Apple is going to need to be able to put a single-one-uno processor up against a single intel/AMD CPU and keep up with it. This won't happen, it seems to me, any time soon. The only way Apple is able to compete is by adding more CPUs, which is cheating in a way.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Re: Re: No Not again.

Originally posted by dukestreet

G5 - ha. It almost a given someone it going to mention it, so it best not to take it seriously. Everyone wants one, we've been waiting for a while and we'll continue to wait. I'm just excited that it seems that the whole machine is getting a work over. I imagine the performance boost should be significant, but, and this is a big but (Krosfyter), Apple is going to need to be able to put a single-one-uno processor up against a single intel/AMD CPU and keep up with it. This won't happen, it seems to me, any time soon. The only way Apple is able to compete is by adding more CPUs, which is cheating in a way.

HAHA... I don't think most people would call this cheating.. Remaining competitive with any advantage you have to deploy... it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.