Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDawgES

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
Before now, I've been enjoying music on my PowerMac G5 through a nice 2.1 set of speakers, connected to the analog 1/8th in. output.
Now, I just hooked up the optical audio output of my up to a receiver. So I've got audio coming out of the old speakers as well as the 5.1 system connected to the receiver.

It sounds excellent, with one exception: there is a delay introduced when the audio passes through the receiver. So a drum beat will be heard first in the 2.1 and then in the 5.1 a few ms later. The delay time is quite small, but it would be awesome if I could delay the sound coming out of of the analog output so it matched with the sound coming out of the digital output.

Anyone with this same experience? Any ideas? Can you tweak Audio Hijack Pro to do something like this?

Thanks for your input!
-Ethan

BigDawgES

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
True,

That's true, but the setup of the room (and the length of the wires involved) are not conducive to that.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Of course there is a delay: Your receiver needs time to decode the digital signal - this is called latency. The analog and digital optputs were not meant to be used simultaneously.

I can't image a software plug-in that would affect the analog out only and not the digital out.

If you seriously want to attack this, you may have to deal with it with a hardware delayline on the analog outputs.

BigDawgES

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2003
Thanks!

Thanks for the input! I think CanadaRAM hit it on the head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.