Powermacs for video capturing VHS footage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by VIPER4, Oct 21, 2004.

1. VIPER4 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been lurking for ages and combing these forums for some answers, but haven't yet found info. related to one particular issue. I am a semi-switcher, in that I purchased a Rev. A Powerbook G4 the day they were announced back in Jan. 2003. I love the quality of the system, but have also continued to use a PC (Dell P4 3 Ghz) for desktop purposes. Specifically, I often use my desktop for capturing video from VHS tapes, DVDs, and television, which I then edit, compile and burn onto DVDs. I have been using Pinnacle Studio 9 on the Dell system and was wondering if there is a Mac equivalent. The Powermac G5 is certainly a sexy system, but I am just wondering how well it can meet my video capturing needs. I suspect it would do so, given the market Apple targets, thus would anyone happen to know what the apple equivalent is to Pinnacle Studio 9? That is, what would be best to capture VHS footage?

Thanks!

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

There are many programs for video editing on the Mac. If you want user friendly, go iMovie, if you want powerful tools, go Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Express is a good in between. There is also programs from Avid that are very popular. My PC buddy is saving up money so he can by a duel G5 system just for video editing. So, in summary, Macs are great machines for video editing with many options for programs.

3. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Any suggestion on a capturing device?

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

canopus makes several different EXCELLENT quality converters - plug & play! Their consumer level ADVC series is fantasic and ranges in price depending on whether or not you want locked audio (a must) or if you want something that cleans the video noise from older tapes. You can usually find ones on ebay - many people buy them, convert all their older video and then sell them.

http://www.canopus.us/Index_US.asp

5. VIPER4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the information. This certainly does look like an excellent product.

From the pervious posts, it also sounds like Final Cut Pro or Express would be a good compliment for this to edit the video once it is captured.

Now I just have to decide whether to go with a Dual G5 system or the just released SP 1.8 G5. From what I read in the other threads the dual system may be more appropriate.

Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated!

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Final Cut Express is an excellent consumer-level product for editing. It's like iMovie on steroids. If you're new to editing you may just want to try iMovie first and then move up to Final Cut Express.

As far as an editing machine goes a DP will speed through files a bit faster than a SP. A fast hard drive (10 K-15 K RPM)or RAID array will make a huge difference when openeing and saving the massive video files - also makes a diffenence when using as a fast scratch disk.

All this depends on what you're using it for - if you're going into a video business - get fast equiptment. If you're just editing old home movies - go cheap.