Powermacs in Apple Store

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neoserver, Jul 2, 2003.

1. neoserver macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    Hi, I was wondering about the Powermac G4s in the Apple store right now cause i don't have the money to buy a G5. Are these the powermacs that were extremely noisy? and are these powermacs a good deal or should i stick with my 600mhz g3 iMac?

2. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2003
    I'd say getting a G4 right now would be a great deal. It's only 1299 for the cheapest one. The G5's do make less noise, but it's not like the G4's were that loud. If I had the money, I would buy one.
  3. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    IMHO, besides the PowerMac G4 being cheaper then the G5's, I wouldnt buy old technology. Remember that going from 32 to 64 bits is already a big jump in tech, specially when you compare the technologies that both computers have ( PCI-X, AGP 8X, That massive Bus speed, Serial ATA, etc etc etc). If you cant get a Dual 2Ghz G5, do your best to get the 1.8Ghz Powermac. Thats what i would do.
  4. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Think about what you need the machine for. Most people don't need the power of the G5.

A 1GHz G4 will be a great machine for years to come.
  5. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002

There have been two releases of 'silverdoor' powermacs G4's, as far as I know the noise problems were solved with the latest release. I had no problem with the noise level when I visited a Apple shop.
  6. neoserver thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    alright, thanks for the advice guys... i think the G4 may be all i need.

7. couch potato macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2003
    good point. there arent a whole lot of apps that make use of the 64-bit technology itself, just the large amounts of ram