powermacs stomped by amd xp 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Obsidian, Jan 18, 2002.

Would you choose this if deciding between mac and pc (if you did not already like mac

1. yes

5 vote(s)
  2. no

15 vote(s)
  1. Obsidian macrumors member

Oct 10, 2001
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    All of you pleople claiming that emachines or intel processors are blowing away apple are wrong, but I just saw an add on tv for a computer that so entireley is stomping apple and all pc's, its not even funny.

The add was for a

AMD XP 2000+ 266mhz frontside bus, and 384kb cache
    256MB PC2100 DDR Memory
    60GB ATA 7200RPM HD
    64MB ATI Raedon w/TV out AGP 4x
    24x10x40 CD-RW Drive
    16x DVD Drive
    17" Super VGA Monitor
    Cyber Acoustic 5 speaker w/Subwoofer
    Creative QuickCam
    Logitech Optical Mouse
    Logitech internet keyboard
    4USB ports
    All in one Scanner/Copyer/Fax Machine (2400x1800DPI, 48bit color)
    10/100 Network CArd
    56k V.90 Modem
    XP Small Buiusness Edition
    Over 90 Software Titles
    24/7/365 Tech Support for one year
    and a couple other things I dont remember...

all for: $1699 US. (sign up for earthlink for 2 years and you get a -$200 rebate) that means $1499US. :eek: jaw dropping

Apple had better get cracking or there will be a 99% share to take back.

I know this is a http://www.***eenontvpc.com/ product, but thats a bloody amazing value.
  2. Obsidian thread starter macrumors member

Oct 10, 2001
    Victoria, BC, Canada

http://www.as seen on tv pc.com/ without the spaces (lol *** =***een was edited out):D
  3. rEd Eye macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2001
    If I were the average,uninformed consumer,yes I would.If all I needed was a smoking email machine that was also great for gaming,yes I would.
    Apple needs to pull some hardware stats out of the hat so that the average Joe consumer can identify an Apple computer as being a"smokin"machine,cause it is definately not the economic alternative!
  4. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    Just like they say...once you try mac you wont go back.

2050 ...Apple Inc...still around

thier competitor is not Microsoft anymore it will be Atari.

well, sounds cool anyways.

5. tadpole macrumors member

Dec 7, 2001
    Smoking Machine?

Come on guys, cut the BS, as nice as the Mac is, it is nowhere near efficient enough to claim parity with the higher end AMD's. This elitism is getting you all nowhere. Perhaps prepubescent enthusiasm would get you all somewhere on the playground, but in the big leagues- ie. Research Science, we use real specs, we have SGI's and PCs running Irix and Linux at the lab. OS X is not robust enough to even be considered for implementation at our lab, we need machines that can chew numbers like its nobody's business, not pretty machines claiming huge performance out of their lower speeds. There is some truth to the mhz myth, fellas, fact is, no processor from Motorola is effecient enough to claim that at half the clock speed it can do just as much if not more than a beefy AMD. I would believe the claim from Alphas, Sparcs, MIPS and HP's, but not PPC, well maybe the Power-4 chips from IBM. So, if you guys don't know your processors, don't post.
  6. b8rtm8nn macrumors member

Dec 13, 2001
    talkin' smack

R&D labs are also concerned with cost and graphics, sparky. While SGI is great, you have to pay a HIGH end sys admin to set up the systems and it is expensive. No problem for a group with much cash, but if you are middle or lower end R&D or pursuing new research and need lab time but can't get it. I think the Mac is a viable altermative. This is because of Mac OSX not the PPC, so I'm not completely disagreeing with you either. But the R&D groups at the university I work at are looking to OSX to be the client machines due to cost and ease of use, and I expect that to continue to be the case in the future.

So while I'm all over a better processor, most Macheads really are just pushing the total package, and no one before your post actually mentioned the PPC being faster to the Athlon.
  7. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios

Everyone take neutral corners!

I dont know much about research labs, but I do know a lot about 3D Animation and special effects rendering in the film industry. -Which takes AS much, if not more crunching power than research labs, because it not only needs to be a parse all the hundreds of thoushands of lines of render code, but also needs to spit it back out into images (raytraced, motionblurred, bumpmapped, displaced, etc) which relies heavily on the video card, bus, and cache. Even Pixar often times has images that took 90 hours to render, and thats for just ONE frame! So let me tell ya, IBM, SGI, and SUN do a GREAT job of making systems and OSes that will handle this kind of raw crunching power. And we use all of these at my school.

But we also use Apple. Thats right folks, right there in the midst of these high end SGI's and Workstations, proudly sit Quicksilvers running OSX. They intigrate perfectly, and crunch JUST AS WELL as the rest of them. They work. We use them, and often times prefer them to the somewhat buggy, and sometimes SLOWER IBM's and (Yes, I'll say it) SGI's. Sure, we run into problems with all the systems, but dont tell me Mac's OSX isnt up to the challenge of high end systems. They are. No, they arent as fast as the itanium-driven Workstations, and dont claim to be, but they do their job, and hang with the best. And hopefully, with the introduction of the 64bit G5, they will be able to compete with even the highest of processors. And we wont even TALK about why AMD isnt in our pipeline. Ask anyone at Pixar, Dreamworks, or ILM why THEY arent using AMD, and they will give you the same answer-- they bog the pipe down.

No, Apple isnt the best. -but neither are SGI or PC's. Its the ability to integrate and combine the performance of all these systems that makes them (and Apple) so powerful. And to tell ya the truth, when it comes to actually USING applications (like Maya) and OSes, many of us prefer Apple hands down over SGI.

So, before you go flapping your yap, and telling all of us we dont know **** about processors and are full of prepubescent elitism, why dont you check out what Apple is truly capable of before making yourself look like the fool.

Besides, who are you to tell us we are prepubescent when you call yourself a Tadpole? Hmm?

-the bigger frog in the pond.
  8. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    an ati radeon, come on, gfource is the superior card. About processors, AMD by far has the best chips on the market, I would pay good money for a dual processor AMD system with mac os X. I work at a school in the computer dept. We have a dell server with dual PIII's, the server room is air conditions down to 65 degrees, the thing overheated and crashed last week. Thats pentium for you. We have a couple AMD Athlon systems, running (ick) windows and linux. I have never seen an os scream as linux does on an athlon.
  9. spuncan macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2001

AMD's are nice but those 16 connections compared to the G4's 8. Another thing AMD is cisc not risc. No altivec in the AMD. so it mainly depends on what you plan to do. Macs- Faster at high end apps. AMD faster at lowend and some highend apps. Intel lowend apps only. K so it just is what you plan to do.
  10. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    I totally agree with you. AMD Chips are cisc based, what i meant to say was that i would like to see mac os x running on an AMD designed chip, as in a AMD PPC Risc Chipset. I know AMD could do it, they do make excelent chips. and quantispeed is some what reminesent of velocity engine.
  11. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Okay, those are impressive specs.. But.. I'd still feel dirty using it... I am a 16 year old student who likes to do the basics on computers, homework, a few games, instant messenger, and email. I also use iMovie with my friends... I, along with much of the general public probably dont need something like that.. Furthermore, it still would require using windoze or another OS that i dont have time to learn.. I am a mac user because I think its different and better and does what I need.. Plus, I dont like microsoft.. I'm a mac user forever.
  12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    P4's suck.....I thought this thread was about AMD?
  13. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Heirarchy (spelled right I hope)

AMD eats P4...
    G5 will so eat AMD...
    G4 and AMD are at each other's throats..

Will somebody please please think of the children? ;)
  14. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Re: hmm..

You must have not looked very carefully: Those specs PROMOTE the power and performance of the G4.

Yeah, this string is AMD focused, but someone in the string mentioned P4's, and I just threw that FYI in there, just for FYI's sake......
  15. bingimar macrumors member

Oct 1, 2001
    Reykjavik / ICELAND
    NOT an apple

it dosnt matter how much the pc's cost if it aint an apple I aint gona buy it.
  16. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I need more sleep...

wooooooooooooooooo.. i retract that statement.. i didnt look well enough.. oh well, my mistake.. i knew P4's sucked, but i never had evidence to see how we could beat them.. i'd love to see some of a G4 ripping an AMD a new ***hole.. Can it happen? Or do we need to wait for G5?
  17. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Like I said in my original post: It isnt that an Apple rips anyone's arsehole, or AMD doing the same. What Im saying is that integration is possible, and very good. Apple has a good machine that does better at Alti-vec enhanced Apps than other machines running non-alti-vec apps, and AMD has very good chips as well.

Point is, no one should say this or that processor is crap. They all serve their purposes, and all do better than others in different arenas.
  18. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Well said..

Not everyone can use a Mac.. Not everyone can use a PC... Those who could go either way, most of us hope they'll choose Apple. So far, most people have chosen PC, and AMD has helped make that decision a little easier for them.. But, ya gotta love dem' Apples...
  19. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    High end Businesses and Apple

3 businesses to be considered before calling Apple a fluff system incapable of research support:

1. The US Army. Mac OS is THE ONLY OS certified as secure by the US ARMY.

2. Lawrence Livermore Labs. The TiBook is the official portable of Lawrence Livermore Labs.

3. Lucasfilm. Primary Editing, scripting, textures, Animation, VFX, and Game development for Lucasarts/Lucasfilm all happen on Macs. The thousands of hours of tweening and mapping are "dumped" into SGI Predators. Key point: A mainframe is still a mainframe. Putting AMD PC's in the same clazz as Deep Blue, Predators and multi-space Sun servers is stupid. If you're gonna talk smack, get it straight and don't azzume you're the only guy in the room with a brain.

Closing: Apollo will close the speed gap in the next 6 months. G5 will present a desktop mainframe in less than 18 months. AMD and Intel are behind on adapting to a slowing economy. AMD/Intel have yet to adapt Itanium to production model prices. As soon as iTanium tech is implemented PC's will drop in Mhz by half and the two lines will meet in the middle. I anticipate a shorter pipeline and lower speed about the same time Apple switches to G5.

Hey Arn, as much as it is important to watch the language: One musn't ***ume that the auto-edit isn't a h***le.:confused: :confused: :D :rolleyes:
  20. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001

NO FireWire
    or NO USB2 (thought all you PeeC feegs say that it's the future)

And great! Fast CPU - DDR RAM... smokin! But what for? Web browsing* Get a life...

Can you... Burn me a DVD?
  21. grrr223 macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2002
    Good Point, USB just doesn't cut it. Even hooking up a still photo digital camera with say a 64 meg flash card would take painfully long to download. And that's not even to mention a digital camera.

I just got a job at MIT's IT department and one of the coolest features I've discovered is the ability to start a computer up in target disc mode. If you connect two macs with a firewire cable and hold down the t key while starting up the second one, it will appear on the first one's desktop as a regular firewire hard drive. This is soooo much faster than moving files through ethernet.

those are impressive specs on the scanner/printer thingy, any idea what brand it is?
  22. tadpole macrumors member

Dec 7, 2001
    AMD= post RISC archetecture, so is PPC. Only P3 and P4 are CISC based.

The AMD core is a post RISC implementation with x86 compatibility layer.