PowerMacs??

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by Fire&IceProductions, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Fire&IceProductions macrumors newbie

Does anyone know anything about the updates on the PowerMacs??? I want to buy a new mac, but i'm trying to hold off untill faster G4's, or the G5's. Does anyone know anything???

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

G5's on the rise...

there are all sorts of rumors regarding 1 Ghz & beyond...

G5's are speculated....especially since the iMac went G4 yesterday...

gotta wait closer next MacWorld...

3. oldMac macrumors 6502a

If G4s are in the iMacs...

Then that means that Motorola must have ramped the heck out of production. The iMac is a very high-volume product.

And if they can supply G4s at 800Mhz in those numbers... that means that the Apollo is ready to go and likely that we'll see more dualies.

Dualies didn't make much sense before OS X. We should expect to see more of them now, esp with the PowerPC trailing so far behind Intel in Mhz.

Heck, they might even start labeling a dual 800 as "1600 Mhz".

4. fukuhela macrumors member

tech-question

Are there anabody who knows how a dual 400 compares with a single 800?? I know that it depends on wich tasks your using the computer for. But still are there somebody who could enlighten me?

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Dual 400 vs. Single 800

I don't have much experience with the DP configurations...but I'd imagine a dual 400 would be the same as a single 800...

but when did a dual 400 come out? did I miss the boat or something? :confused:

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

not the same

Dual processor Macs run parallel processors, which do not add together. Wintel's use serial processors, which do add together. Serial vs. Parallel a la basic eletrical theory.:cool:

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

oh yeah

I fudged that last response up a bit....I do know it wouldn't run as fast....but similarly due to having the extra processor power....and RAM would have a part to play as well...

8. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Wait

I have a G4 400 and I am going to wait and buy the high end G5, as soon as it comes out.

9. ilikeiBook macrumors regular

ilikeiBook

G4 or G5

Now there is a G5.dual 1Ghz G4 powermac , you could buy it or wait for a G5, probably coming out in the summer at Macworld NY.