PowerMax Trade-in...a log

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switzermac macrumors regular

I think that earning 40% (roughly) on a second hand resale product is absurd, standard is 20%. Well just my opinion.

2. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I definitely agree. $650 is still a very good value, as I couldn't even sell it for much more. But who would pay $1409 for it, I seriously don't know.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Received from Gary a little while ago:

Great guy to work with. No e-mail tonight, hopefully early tomorrow so I can send it out!

4. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Just received a very vague and incomplete written e-mail describing what I need to send in and how it needs to be done.

I have send a TON of questions back. I think they should be able to write it better than that.

5. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

Maybe someone here with PowerMax experience can explain the following:

The send me the quote stating it was good for 10 days, meaning I had 10 days to agree to it. If I waited my full 10 days, I now only have 4 days to get it to PowerMax?

Why is everything always so difficult!?

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Screw them. Sell it on eBay, get $650 Cash. Then, go back on eBay, get that same iBook for about $900. Save yourself the time and trouble.

7. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I don't want to sell it on ebay. Not my thing.

The highest offer I had on here was $500 shipped, so I figured $650 is good. $650 is good on ebay, too, so I might as well sell it to PowerMax.

Just confused as heck after reading the "terms and conditions" in their e-mail.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

They are ripping you off on the iBook. They also rip you off on the shipping. They also rip you off with that 3+ week test period. I guarantee you if a new product is released that will drop the price of your PowerMac, they will ask for a requote.

I'm looking on eBay, and that same iBook can be had for $850 shipped. You can get one with 1GB RAM and all the goodies for $975. (brand new)

9. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I really don't want to get anything off ebay. What people say and what people actually send you is a different story. For little (under $200), it's taking a risk, and it's fine. But to purchase something that I have saved up for years, I think I'll get it brand new.

The paper I have to sign says that they will only reduce the trade-in value if a piece of hardware is not working. It's a legal agreement, so I don't think they can ask me to reduce the price just because a new product it out.

The 3+ weeks test period is total bologna, and I agree that that's crazy. However, since they have a good deal, I'm willing to wait that long.

Shipping is not a rip off, because it's $18.44 and you get every penny back with the rebate. I'm not worried about that.

ITASOR

10. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

How can you say that when it's the same exact price as Apple and any other authorized reseller out there? Apple's price is a rip off because people are selling a similar used item on ebay for cheaper?

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wow, shipping is $15 for a PowerMac? I shipped my iMac G3 a while back and it was $55 (UPS ground, insured).

You may not like eBay, but I have had a great experience with it. We have bought...3 laptops, and 2 desktops, brand new on eBay, with no problems.

Good luck with your trade anyways.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, to me it is a rip because I either:

A) Buy from the Apple Edu. store

B) Buy brand new off eBay

13. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I thought you meant shipping the iBook to me was a rip off because they were charging for it. Yeah, it'll cost like $80 to send my PowerMac to them, but it's going to cost around the same to send it to anyone else, so what's the difference there.

You did get me starting trying to sell it, I even bumped my thread in the marketplace.

I still think I'm going to go with PowerMax though if I can get then to explain that 14day garbage.

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yeah I was just complaining about shipping because usually on eBay, the buyer will pay for teh shipping. So, your powermac would sell for lets say $630, and they would pay about $75 for shipping.

Sorry if I am coming off as harsh, I'm just trying to get you a good deal.

If you do decide to use eBay, let me know (PM). I will help you pick out a good machine.

15. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

It's not harsh, I really appreciate comments actually. I did ask for help, and you helped!

I'm going to wait for the e-mail from PowerMax answering the questions I asked to see what they say.

My grandpa is going to be bringing it to the UPS place to ship it, and he has volunteered to pay for all of the shipping and packing he said.

Ahhhh looking forward to getting this all done and over with. What a pain.

16. mmuirdenver macrumors newbie

ibook trade-in experience

I traded in an iBook G3 for an iBook G4 earlier this year with them and it worked fine. I also could have done the total deal for about $100 to $150 cheaper with the ebay/lowest vendor combo for sell/buy of the same items, but because of all the stories about fraud on ebay with computer sales, I decided that the $100-$150 was insurance to guarantee a sale at known terms, with a known seller/buyer. They were not so fast with email replies but if you call them, they are responsive. They are not kidding about the 3-5 weeks, I think it was 5 weeks for the credit to show up on mine. But they shipped the replacement first, I transferred everything, then I shipped mine. They had words about tests and original packaging but I received exactly what they quoted even though the original packaging has long since been recycled.

17. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

How does the credit show up? Do you get an e-mail or what? If you could answer that, that would be great.

The reason I don't want to order it first is that I don't want to have to pay the full iBook price. See, if I charge the whole thing, I will be paying interest on it (which will be alot each month) until they credit the $650 off and then I can just pay the difference.

That's the only reason why I'm not doing it that way. Man 5 weeks is a long time. :( I'm having second thoughts now.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've had pretty good luck with them. Took me a little over a month to get the credit on the Mac I gave them. Of course, I was travelling down to Oregon anyway, and that was back before gas prices were crazy, so it was a better deal for me. But you'd have to pay shipping with eBay anyway, plus the fees. By then maybe there will be an upgraded iBook, so you may be better off waiting while they check out your old one. Though you will be Mac-less for a good 4-6 weeks.

One thing though, I also gave them a monitor. They said it didn't work, so I didn't get any money for it, but it worked fine last I used it. I haven't seen it listed on their site, and it was just some old 15" POS, but still. At least they recycled it for me I guess. I still have a $20 credit there too.

19. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

New. Off eBay. Vendor pays shipping. Uh-Huh.
    Will be shipped FedEx from a nice Eastern European country as soon as your Western Union money order clears, honest.

Puhleese.

Simply, there is only about 4% between wholesale and retail on an iBook. If a "new" machine is being discounted by a substantial amount it is either - used, stolen, or nonexistent.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Before you pack it, boot it, run System Profiler, screen capture, print 2 copies, one for you one to go in package. Take a picture of the machine with a digicam to prove it wan't broken before it went in the box.

Pack it yourself and save money, get boxes from the grocery, liquor or furniture store. seal the Mac in a big plastic bag. Lots of padding and double box it.

box-padding-box-padding-bag-Mac-bag-padding-box-padding-box

21. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

The shipping would be on an 8lb box, a laptop (that he would be buying). He wouldn't have to pay to ship his 50lb powermac.

Also, the only people that get ripped off like you are talking about are the ones that see iBooks brand new for $500, or powerbooks for $1000. I am talking about legit deals.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Legit deals for new Macs $200- $400 below wholesale price?... (Apple new price on the 1.33/60/combo US$1299. Don't know ehat the 1.2 GHz machines closed out at, probably $1099 - $1199 You're saying there are new 1.2/60Gb /Combos on Ebay $850 shipped)?

I see a 60Gb/Combo for $799 plus $50 shipping + $25 insurance except it's not new and it doesn't boot. Rather than take their "2 hour old" machine back to Apple under warranty they'd rather sell it for a $200 loss on eBay. Uh huh.

Here's one for $850 -- it's from a EBay member that has never before sold anything on eBay -- now they have a "Brand new" iBook and a "Brand New" HP laptop and a "Brand New " Toshiba laptop - all factory sealed. This is either
    1) a hijacked account or
    2) it's one of the drop-ship "make money as an eBay seller" scams.

What these are is a con artist enlists a gullible eBay member to post auctions in exchange for a commission on each sale. The con provides the pictures and the details, and says they will ship the item direct to the buyer as soon as they receive payment. The gull posts the auction, takes the buyer's money, takes their commission out of it and gives the rest of the money to the con. Then the con disappears, leaving the gull to take the heat.

Here's one for $860 plus $30 shipping. Comes loaded with pirated software. It's NEW. Oops, no it's Like New. Oops no, it's used, but just barely. The seller is a self-admitted liar and thief. So, would they stop at cheating you?

Here's another one with pirated software. Seller hasn't sold anything since October 2003. All of a sudden the account is reactivated with a couple of piddling purchases, and bingo, a new iBook for sale. Fancy that.

Here's another: They're advertising a $100 rebate from Apple when you mail in your Apple Authorized Dealer invoice with the rebate form. Too bad the seller isn't an Authorized Dealer. Double too bad that the only Apple Retail rebate on right now involves the purchase of a printer as well...

This one says it is from an Apple dealer and they have a $1398 price on it.... no scratch that, they have loaded it with pirated apps.

I searched all "iBook G4 New" in North America as of tonight, many of the above mentioned are 30 Gb models, not 60 - that makes a big difference. found ONE iBook G4 I would consider legit -- it's one of these Ebay selling agents -- they don't actually have the goods, they are selling someone else's iBook for them. But it's a 30 Gb combo.

Question for MacAztec: How do you know they are legit? Have you personally purchased from any of these sellers?

If you are recommending that a MR poster buy from eBay and are offering to provide the links to ones you recommend, what responsibility are you willing to take if the MR person gets ripped off?

What I am saying is that nobody in their right mind sells a brand new product for $200 - $300 less than wholesale cost, unless there's a catch somewhere. eBay is the LAST place I would look for a new Macintosh, Period.

23. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I love your posts CanadaRAM.

I think I am just going to order the iBook tomorrow or later tonight and then send the PowerMac in.

Good idea on the screen capture! I gotta do that. I have pictures of the PowerMac...

Is: http://img212.echo.cx/img212/7629/p52700037qr.jpg

Good enough? Should I stick this picture in the box with the Quicksilver?

Thanks.

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you really want to get obsessive you could take a new picture and include today's newspaper in it to prove it was alive as of today....

Course that would be pretty obsessive. Nobody around here that obsessive. Nope. Not me. Not one bit.....

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.