PowerNap on Fusion Drive Equipped 27" '12 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by daveishere, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Sorry if this has been asked before but...

will powernap be a feature on the new iMacs with fusion drive installed? I'm pretty sure Apple only includes this feature on machines with SSD's or power/noise reasons.

Surely (due to the price of the fusion drive) it should?

2. macrumors member

wehokev

3. macrumors regular

Nevermind, I guess it doesn't..

4. macrumors 6502

"Last Modified: Sep 20, 2012"

This document wouldn't mention 2012 iMacs whether they support Power Nap or not, since it was released before the iMacs.

5. macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Suggest it at apple.com/feedback.

6. macrumors member

wehokev

Excellent point. Mine is expected to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to find out. Thanks.

7. macrumors regular

Or we could just ask someone with a 2012 iMac to check in their Energy Saver preferences. If it supports Power Nap, the Power Nap option will be there.

:)

8. macrumors 6502a

Sadly, no, it is not.

9. macrumors regular

You've got a Fusion Drive model, presumably, right?

10. macrumors member

Power Nap requires being able to run the machine without running the fans or a spinning disk. Given that the iMac uses more powerful CPUs and GPUs, it's likely that it's not safe from a thermal perspective to run it without the fan for any amount of time. Furthermore, Fusion drives require both the SSD and HDD to be active, which also eliminates the iMac (at least non-SSD only models) from Power Nap eligibility.

11. macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have a 1TB fusion model:

Attached Files:

12. macrumors member

I had my 21" fusion hibernate the other night. It was strange. I let it sit for a out 8 hours while I was away. I couldn't remember if I turned it off or not when I got home. A mouse movement or click and a keyboard mash failed to wake it so I turned off the wall outlet.

Next morning when I turned the wall on. Hit the power button and it instantly went to the desktop all previous apps and websites open instantly! No boot up, no chime. Up in 2 seconds flat!

13. macrumors member

wehokev

I am not concerned about the noise. My iMac is located in my home office. The single thing that I really wanted was an automatic update of my PhotoStream in iPhoto. I guess I'll have to find or make an automated script to do it. Sounds like a project for the weekend.