PowerNap + Time Machine Issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Nutdotnet, Jul 29, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Jan 15, 2004
    Is anyone else running into this issue with PowerNap & Time Machine?

"Time Machine could not back up because the drive was not formatted correctly."

I'm using a Time Capsule and it is definitely formatted correctly. Backups work just fine when the computer is not "napping".

Was just curious if anyone ran into a solution before I contact support.

15" rMPB.
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2011
    TX, USA
    I'm not getting the same error, but my time machine won't back up at all in Powernap. In fact, on my Retina I haven't yet noticed anything working in Powernap. I have done the update, and on my 2011 MBA I notice Powernap working, but I have yet to experience anything working successfully in Powernap for my rMBP.
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2011
    I did notice that my Time Machine backed up properly last night at around midnight when the lid was closed. But I know it didn't earlier that evening when it was supposed to.

Wondering if Power Nap only applies to the once a day nightly backups and not the hourly ones. Who knows.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2012
    Was working fine when i checked it.

"Time Machine backups are attempted hourly until a successful backup has been completed."

It's possible that it really makes the Backup after napping for an hour and doesnt use the "next scheduled backup time" you can see in osx - which might cause some confusion. but i'm not 100% sure it works like that. i just know, that mine was closed for like 1h 30m.