PowerPC 4600 remote control???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maczen, Mar 22, 2007.

1. maczen macrumors newbie

Can someone please explain how this is happening. I picked up an old 4600 just for fun and set it up in my living room. Later in the evening when I turned on my TV by remote, the 4600 powered on. When I adjusted the volume on the TV remote, the 4600's volume adjusted. And when I shut off the TV, the 4600 shut down. I can't see anything special about the computer that might be allowing this to happen. I really hope someone can explain this for me. Thanks.:confused: http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Some of the older beige Apple computers had an IR port on the front for this purpose. It if not very obvious but if you have a little round black circle somewhere on the 4600 then you have the IR port. That would be why the remote is controlling the computer.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, obviously, the Mac has an infrared remote control receptor and by coincidence your TV remote is sending the same signal. Locate the 'eye' on the front panel of the Mac and put some tape over it if it bugs you, or root around in the OS for a control panel to turn it off.

Are you sure you have the model number correct? Is it a tower (6400)or an all in one (5400) or a flat desktop machine (4400)?
    What country are you in?

4. Queso macrumors G4

Let me guess, you have a Sony TV right? My Performa 630 used to do the same because Apple used to use Sony's remote codes. I taped over the IR port in the end. Got too annoying if I was laying in bed at 1am and turned the TV off using the remote only to get a super loud Apple "Bong" off the computer.

5. maczen thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, you guys are great!

First, my mistake. It's a 6400! This yank is a little new to this. Second, it is a Sony Remote. Thanks a lot!