PowerPC and Bluray

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GermanyChris, Aug 23, 2012.

1. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Did anyone in the forum figure out a way to rip Blu-rays..

I know MakeMKV is the standard for x86, and toast will rip non-copy protected. Has anyone found a new way in the last 6 or so months?

2. macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I personaly don't like blu-ray right now for a few reasons
    *Disks are too expensive
    *Blu-ray burners are too expensive compared to dvds
    *anything a blu-ray can do a dvd can do cheaper and with a larger number of computers able to read the disk

when blu-ray gets a little older I will adopt the concept but for now i'm sticking with dvds

3. macrumors newbie

Although Bluray is overall more expensive they definitely beat a DVD's quality. I've ripped both but the extra work for the bluray is worth it.

For the actually post - I've began ripping blurays using a combination of Makemkv and Handbrake (to get it in the m4v format), it's slow but I haven't found an alternative.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Both require Intel.

"Blue ray ripper for mac" is fat..but I don't know anything about it.

5. macrumors newbie

I missed that part... Is PowerPC on the Mac even strong enough to handle bluray files sizes and encodes?

6. macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

7. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thank you!

----------

Yes..

8. macrumors 68000

Lancer

For the quality BluRay is not much more than DVD, the burners are more expensive and from what I've been told PPC are not supported, I have a G5.

I'll be looking at getting an external BD after I get my new iMac.

9. macrumors 68020

The only PowerPC macs that will be able to play blurays (before conversion) are the G5 Quad and possibly any other PCI-e G5 with a Broadcom Crystal HD installed.

A 1080p BD has 6x the definition of a 480p DVD. Assuming the bluray is mastered well the difference (in my opinion) is massive.

10. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No Power Mac will be able to play Bluray conversion. Bluray takes an HDMI connection to the display and DVI to HDMI doesn't work.

My intent is to rip them and convert them.

11. macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Why is that? You seem to know what you are talking about so I instinctively want to believe you but I want to understand why this is so that I can motivate if I am to forward it.

12. macrumors 68020

Simply because decoding high resolution, high bitrate video is very taxing on the CPU. The Quad is really the only PowerPC mac that has the grunt to decode bluray-spec video. Other PowerPC macs can play 1080p video, but it would need to be converted to a less CPU-taxing form first.

If you were wondering, you can read about the Crystal HD here. It's possible to install one in a PCI-e G5 with a mini PCI-e to PCI-e 1x adaptor.

13. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Just ordered one..

We'll see how it goes.

14. macrumors 68020

I haven't tested it on anything PowerPC, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Drivers can be found here and it only works with XBMC on the mac currently.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, If you use MakeMKV on a VC1 encoded bluray, the CHD can't play it in the MKV container. You'll have to remux it to .m2ts (.ts may work too, only tried .m2ts and that works perfectly).

15. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have that site bookmarked...

you can't use make MKV it's Intel only.

16. macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Even if you do find a way to rip/convert Blu-Ray on your PowerPC, it will be painfully slow. I can't stand how long Handbrake takes on my PowerPC to convert a standard DVD! I only do conversions on my Mac mini or my PC because they don't take forever to do their job.

The PowerPC isn't good enough to convert a standard DVD in a timely manner, so Blu-Ray ripping/conversion on a PPC is a bit of a pipe dream IMHO.

I've never personally ripped Blu-Ray because I don't own a Blu-Ray drive, but I've read that even on a modern machine ripping a Blu-Ray to 1080p can take an extremely long time. PowerPC would take DAYS.

17. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Ripping wont take long, converting will take some time though..

18. macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Would a PowerPC even support Blu-ray? I doubt it. My Intel Core 2 Duo is dying trying to open a 720p. I wouldn't expect a PowerPC to go beyond 480p.

19. macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I meant conversion. My bad.

20. macrumors 6502a

My 1.25GHz iMac G4 can stream 720p in flash and play 1080p from HDD so stop spreading lies and if your C2D has trouble playing HD there's something seriously wrong with it.

21. macrumors 68020

Resolution is not the only factor which will affect the performance. Bitrate, codec and profile come in to it as well.

Quoting performance is meaningless unless detailed information about the file (eg MediaInfo log) and player are provided with it.

22. thread starter macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thats OK I've never tried to live up to your expectations.

23. macrumors 6502a

Yes but C2D's can play blu-ray quality video so there is something wrong if it can't play 720p.

24. macrumors 68020

Again, too broad. It depends on the model, clock speed, whether it's mobile or desktop class. If you look at geekbench charts, C2Ds have scores from 1227 to 3799. Try playing a bluray on a 1GHz U7500 ;)

25. macrumors 6502a

bizzle

Sure it can play it. At what frame rate, 6? You're delusional to think that it plays properly. I've had plenty of maxed out G4s in my day that couldn't even do it.

I ran a dual 2.0ghz G5 as a media player for a while and it couldn't handle jack worth of 1080p.