Powerpc and Linux

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Quboid, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Quboid macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2006
    I heard that powerpc macs could run linux like normal (just install and run) just wanted to figure out how true that is. And if so. Can the intel macs do the same?

2. nplima macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2006

the first bit is true, there are some linux varieties made for PPC processors. Ubuntu linux is one, YellowDog is another, I believe there is a Fedora Core variety for PPC as well.

Don't tell anyone, but if you aim to use Firefox and Openoffice.org, they will be faster on Ubuntulinux for the PPC than they are on OS X.

As for running Linux on a MacIntel, I cannot tell for sure, since I don't have one, but I understand that you need Apple's bootcamp installed first and only then you can use a normal Linux installer in order to have a menu for picking your operating system when you boot up your computer.
  3. Mernak macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    Kirkland, WA
    PowerPC runs some distros of Linux just fine (I used Ubuntu on my iBook), but Intel is a different matter. It apparently runs just fine but it seems like it is a a pain to get it installed. Check out some reviews on TuxMobil and a guide at Bin-False. For powerPC you just need to follow the guide on the distro's site if you want to dual-boot.
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    The only problem getting Linux running on Intel Macs is the EFI boot setup, as far as I know. But this isn't a trivial thing. :)

I've read of people finding Boot Camp workarounds to use with Linux. Of course virtualization is also an option.

I have no doubt that EFI-aware versions of GRUB and the like will come out reasonably soon.