PowerPC apps won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NightLord, Oct 21, 2006.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

I'm running a macbook, and recently, rosetta has been really hit and miss, sometimes apps open, sometimes they don't, if it won't open, I have to reboot before I can, but now, today, I cannot open any PowerPC apps at all, the dock icon bounces for ages, then closes.

Any ideas?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What applications are you trying to open? and what computer have you got? also what version of OS X are you running? Finally how much RAM do you have? Apple Menu ==>About this Mac for the last two.

3. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

Basically, I've tried all the PPC apps I have, especially office (All the apps), Photoshop, and imageready. As I said in the first post, I have a macbook, and it has 512Mb, 1.83Ghz etc, and OS X 10.4.8

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Rosetta might be having problems due to lack of RAM, I didn't try any PPC apps on my Macbook until i got 2GB in it. But I'm not convinced that this should be causing the problem, though it could make using the PPC applications very slow.

Excel certainly works on my Macbook (i'm using it atm.)

5. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

you'll find that a small minority of powerPC apps won't open in rosetta, i came across one the other day but i can't recall what it was

6. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've only had my MacBook a week, so I'm still using 512MB RAM.

InDesign and Photoshop has worked fine to the level that I need, although in the week, a particular InDesign didn't open all day, I tried over a span of 9 hours.

Now it works again. I think its a RAM issue. Make sure you have at least 1GB.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did you happen to use Monolingual to remove unneeded languages and free up hard drive space?

8. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I have not run any programs like that, as I read removing the wrong options can mess up your mac.

And, in case it isn't clear, I've used all these programs regularly on my macbook without trouble (But, yes, admittedly, it is kind of slow), its only recently that its happened.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you're desperate, just reinstall OSX, it takes around 1.5 hrs, and can't do any harm.

10. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Let me guess, you installed unsainty's Application Enhancer? You can either remove that or install the latest version 2.0.2b3. Installing the latest version worked very well for me.

11. NightLord thread starter macrumors regular

...You're right... thats when the problems started...

I'll try it, thanks :D

12. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Like Macmadant said, you will unfortunatelly come across some apps that refuse to open or function properly with rosetta. Photoshop and Imageready arent on that list, so.... idk what might be going on.
    try figuring out what happens after upgrading or removing that "application enhancer" (or whatever), because it sounds promising.