Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebhaf

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2005
What a surprise to come home with my new iPhone 4s and discover that it won't work on my iBook G4 because my iTunes is too old (and that's because my OS is too old). How is it that Apple can make iTunes work on old versions of Windows XP but they can't make it work on OS X Tiger? Or is it just that they don't want to?

Well, the irony is, Apple has forced me to migrate fully to my Windows PC and now I have no more use for the Apple environment. My next laptop was going to be another Mac, but now it will be a Windows-based PC.

By the way, it's annoying to hear some of you calling this whining and drawing analogies to floppy disks. Pleeeeze... My iBook G4 is only a few years old. I bought it in Sept 2005, just a short time before Apple introduced Intel Macs. And guess what -- everything I use it for (movie editing, Web surfing, etc) works fine. I'm fully aware of planned obsolescence, but I don't accept that I have to buy a new computer every five years to avoid huge obsolescence issues.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
What a surprise to come home with my new iPhone 4s and discover that it won't work on my iBook G4 because my iTunes is too old (and that's because my OS is too old). How is it that Apple can make iTunes work on old versions of Windows XP but they can't make it work on OS X Tiger? Or is it just that they don't want to?

Well, the irony is, Apple has forced me to migrate fully to my Windows PC and now I have no more use for the Apple environment. My next laptop was going to be another Mac, but now it will be a Windows-based PC.

By the way, it's annoying to hear some of you calling this whining and drawing analogies to floppy disks. Pleeeeze... My iBook G4 is only a few years old. I bought it in Sept 2005, just a short time before Apple introduced Intel Macs. And guess what -- everything I use it for (movie editing, Web surfing, etc) works fine. I'm fully aware of planned obsolescence, but I don't accept that I have to buy a new computer every five years to avoid huge obsolescence issues.

If you have one of the last ibooks why not update it to 10.5.8 and have the newer itunes that support the latest iOs,or am I wrong?

Seth Mac Fan

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I've always wanted to run Linux on my mac. Has anyone used Yellow Dog Linux ?

Yes it is ok for what it is , but it is not being supported anymore . If you want a modern linux distro I would reccomend mint ppc it is probably your best choice at this point . But my exspierence is linux does not work very good on power pc macs . So I would reccomend you dual boot Mac and linux .

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I don't feel abandoned, Ive just come to terms that my horse and buggy are just getting old. It still pulls and moves the way it did the day I got it though...

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
How do I install MintPPC?

Hi, I was at their website and there was nothing to download. Do I need to install Debian and then get MintPPC Linux? Sounds really interesting as I might look into installing this on my 2nd hard drive in my powerbook.

Yes it is ok for what it is , but it is not being supported anymore . If you want a modern linux distro I would reccomend mint ppc it is probably your best choice at this point . But my exspierence is linux does not work very good on power pc macs . So I would reccomend you dual boot Mac and linux .

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi, I was at their website and there was nothing to download. Do I need to install Debian and then get MintPPC Linux? Sounds really interesting as I might look into installing this on my 2nd hard drive in my powerbook.

You don't need Debian to install it, and they have instructions on their website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.