PowerPC Wintel Equivalent

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by conselec, Feb 16, 2007.

1. conselec macrumors newbie

I sell a lot of Macs on eBay and have come across a lot of other sellers posting WinTel equivalents to PowerPC speeds. The problem is there is no correlation with one seller to the next and it seems as though they are just choosing an arbitrary number.

I really would like to add this information to my listings with accurate benchmarks supporting this data. There are many people who have not used Mac previously that see 500Mhz PowerPC G3 and think of how slow their Celeron 500Mhz desktop is; so this information could be very useful. Are there any resources that the MacRumor's community can direct me to? :apple:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I found one, here. Unfortunately, it doesn't go all the way back to 500 MHz.

3. conselec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Most of the Macs I sell are G3 iBooks or Titanium PowerBooks. Please let me know if you know where I can find these.

Thanks again,

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

wait, am i to understand that only quad-core 2.8GHz xeon is equivalent to quad core 2.5 G5? aka all the mac pro CPU now are slower than the quad core G5?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm wrong, there is no such thing as a Quad-Core P4-based Xeon :p

What I would like to point out is that Apple does offer a Quad 3.0 GHz (2 dual-core CPUs = 4 cores total) Xeon that IS faster than the Quad Core 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

this is gonna sound ignorant... is G5 quad 2.5 two die of 2 cores, or one die of 4 cores?

and i thought that site is compare mere CPU dies, not combination of CPUs?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Since nobody's made a 1-die 4-core chip yet (both Intel and AMD's quad-core solutions are basically 2 dual-core chips fused together), it's definitely not 1 die 4 cores. Heck, it isn't really 2 dies of 2 cores either, since the dies in question sit in separate sockets on the motherboard. The Mac Pro, incidentally, shares this design trait with the PowerMac G5 (though you wouldn't know it because of the cooling unit).

8. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I think geekbench might have the info you are looking for