Powerpoint 2004 Runs Poorly on Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maclamb, Jun 1, 2005.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Anyone elase notice this? Powewrpoint is slow, buggy, crashes and locks up.
    I've uninstalled Offcie 2004 and reinstalled x.v and it's much faster, and works better.

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

it's like that for me all the time.. panther.. tiger.. doesn't make a difference. i ditched it and bought iWork '05 for keynote. all the presentations i give though can be done on my powerbook so i don't "need" powerpoint compatibility

EDIT: word however works great. i can't say much about excel though. word is better on the mac than the pc i think.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I've been using Office 2004 for nearly a year, and had maybe a total of 5-6 application quits in the whole time. I use Excel and Powerpoint every day, and Word a couple of times per week. I've applied all of the MS and Apple updates and I'm running on a 12" 1.33Ghz PB with 1.25Gb RAM. Upgrading to Tiger made no difference to performance or reliability. Performance is not zippy, but not frustratingly slow either.

Unless the way you are using Powerpoint is provoking a bug, then something about your system or setup must be causing it (given that we're both using the same software, but getting different results).

4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

i had applied all patches - but maybe it was the size of the files- some had over 177 slides.
    - also, see above...

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

yea, the number of slides might be an issue.

if you do lots of presentations and don't need powerpoint specifically i highly recommend keynote 2 (in iWork '05).. if you're a student you can get it for $50

i won't use powerpoint again :p

i had issues with moving slides around in powerpoint, it just wouldn't move them, then when i finally did get it to work it crashed. Word is much better though, i don't think i've ever had it crash.

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Yeah, 170+ slides is quite a lot, especially if they contain images as well as the usual text and graphics.

I've never used Keynote, as I've always worked in a company that uses Microsoft Office as a standard. I'm presuming Keynote can export to a Powerpoint format? If so, are there typically any imperfections in the exported file when viewed in Powerpoint? I don't do any funky transitions, or anything complex - just straightforward text, colored boxes/lines, and a few images pasted in.

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

you'd probably be fine if you kept things basic. may have to go in and double check to make sure nothing was weird but it would only be minor little things now and again. they offer a trial of it.. i'm sure if you called apple up and asked they'd send you a trial dvd, or even someone on here might do it. i've already used mine so i'm doubting it would be useful for ya.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I think I got a trial of iWork with my Tiger disk, so I'll try it out - thanks.

9. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I've been asking different people around here at MR and no one's given me a response yet... if you do a Keynote on Tiger, burn it on a disc and load it on an iMac OS 9 w/ PowerPoint, wiil the it still work? I'd primarily like to keep the transitions and special effects (what makes Keynote so better)

Thanks for a response :)