Powerpoint 2004 troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Nov 10, 2004.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Powerpoint 2004 on my mac. Because the screen of my powerbook is dead (see signature) I use and external lcd screen (with lid of pb closed). Its a NEC LCD1701 running at 1280x1024, 60Hz.
    Now when I try to view a powerpoint slideshow on this monitor it completely messes up the layout of the slides. When I see slide one, half of slide two will already be visible and the presentation sometimes just skips all the slides if I hit next and go straight to the last slide (which is also all messed up).
    Anybody have any problems like this? If so, any ideas as to how it could be fixed?

Thanks for the effort!

2. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

I know Microsoft isn't too popular here, but there must be somebody with some advice...

3. James L macrumors 6502a

M$ isn't that popular, but powerpoint unfortunately is still a far superior presentation software than keynote in terms of features!

I cannot help you with your situation unfortunately, but I am interested in the solution. Please post it if you get it figured out.

Cheers,

James

4. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Does your screen (NEC MultiSync LCD1701) act funny with any other programs? If it does then probably it may have something to do with that.
    Does it happen to all the presentations you make?

Try:

1) Downloading the updated software patches for the office 2004. Here I would suggest service pack 1.
    2) Uninstalling and reinstalling office 2004 ( I know that is a very pc thing to do, But it may solve some problems.)

If that doesn't work then go to microsofts newsgroups, and see if someone can help you.Here

I'm sorry if this doesn't help. :confused:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Doesn't Powerpoint 2004 have some kind of new Mac exclusive mode where it shows the presentation on the external monitor and it shows slide pages or something on the main screen? Maybe this bug has something to do with that feature? Try turning it off? I'm using .X so sorry I'm being so vague...

6. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Well looks like reinstalling office did the trick. I was running SP1 so that may have caused the problem. I'll try reinstalling sp1 a bit later and see if that brings back the problems!

7. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

well well well. It seems the SP1 update is the culprit. After installing it, it once again scrambles the information on my external monitor. So now I'll have to go ahead and remove the entire thing again in order to be able to properly read my ppt files.

Nice work (as usual) Micro$oft! :mad:

8. jojobach macrumors newbie

jojobach

other SP1 problems

Well, I have another problem with PowerPoint. I had v. 2004 without SP1 and PP was always craching (M$ kind of thing...). I searched for updates, and it updated to SP1 and now, every time I open PP I get a screen that says a chinese font is missing (can't tell you what font, because it's chinese...). I click ok and it keep appearing again and again (at least 4X).

If that was it I would be chearfull anyway, but it's not, many operations I make in PP cause the appearence of such screens almost endlessly. This is terribly anoying and time-consuming. Anyone has any ideias?

I must also say that I created new acounts in me ibook Mac OS X and the problem seems to be avoided, but the application keeps crashing as before the SP1 upgrade.

P.S.: I'm a newbie (only since 06/2004) and I don't know how to uninstall M$ Office. Can anyone help me?

9. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

To uninstall MS Office, you basically drag the folder that holds MS Office to the trash, then empty the trash. Yes, it is that simple for the basic uninstall. Try reinstalling, and it probably wont even ask you for your serial number because it is still in the preferences left by MS in another folder. But if you have trouble reinstalling, what you should do is then is open up the finder, and do a search for Microsoft on the whole harddrive. Then delete everything it finds that ties to Microsoft. If you have installed Microsoft Media Player, you can leave it on there, just get ride of anything else MS.

10. jojobach macrumors newbie

jojobach

Tks varmit.

But re-installing wont solve all the problems. If someone can help me out with the SP1 instalation, I'd appreciate it.