PowerPoint and 'Classic' in 10.4.7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dane D., Nov 10, 2006.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Some questions concerning PowerPoint and 'Classic'. Our sales rep is building a new presentation using a PPT file that was built in OS 9. He is now using OS 10.4.7. He spent some hours building this new presentation using the old file as an template. now when you view the show, the slide comes in much larger and is getting clipped on all sides. What is going on? I don't use PPT, but am wondering about what resolution the background image and placed images should be. Should I re-build in OS 9, I can do this quickly since I have two monitors, he doesn't. Has anybody had this happen to them?:confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, wow, that's very unusual. What version of Office are you using in OS 9? What save as options does it have? See if it has an option to save the file to be compatible with Windows Office 97 or 2000?

3. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using Office 98, I know it is old but my hands are tied when it comes to upgrades. I had him save it as Powerpoint 98 presentation. Still doesn't work right. Or is this one of those things where 'Classic' just doesn't cut it?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As a general proposition, PowerPoint presentations tend to depend on the computer used to build them. This is to say that PowerPoint files don't travel well. If you open a presentation on a different computer than was used to create it, you may have some tweaking to do if you want it took look it did when it was created. This is not a Classic thing; it is not a MacOS X thing; it is a Microsoft thing.

5. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The other wierd thing is the font sizing, I'm back in OS 9 now re-building it, when I drag the type blocks over to my template, they are huge, even though same pt size. Plus I think the way the two systems send the information to the monitor, quartz vs. whatever OS 9 does. Funny, awhile back I posted a reply to IJReily saying that 'Classic' is not OS 9 and he disagreed, well here is a case where I am right.