Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
Hi, i've got a really annoying problem:

I've made a poverpoint presentation for a school project however when I tested it out today none of the images showed up. The error given was that there was "no quicktime or tiff decompressor" on the computer.

Obviously the easy way to fix this is to download quicktime however the school has blocked the downloading of any apps therefore I am stuck.

Does anyone know a way that will get around this problem as presentations done on PCs are fine?

Please help, the presentation is tomorrow!
Thanks in advance,
Frankie

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
As a backup, another option might be to make a PDF of it. Although you will lose any transitions or animation, Adobe Acrobat Reader on Windows (and Preview on Mac, FWIW, and probably Acrobat on Mac) has a full screen mode, which is accessible through the View menu, I think. I have seen people run presentations at academic conferences this way before, and the computer almost certainly has Acrobat installed.

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
Thanks to both of you, two really good ideas which I will use, have you had these problems before by any chance and did the jpg method work? (This is because the original individual images are jpegs themselves)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Chimera said:
Thanks to both of you, two really good ideas which I will use, have you had these problems before by any chance and did the jpg method work? (This is because the original individual images are jpegs themselves)

I had these problems before with jpgs that I erm, fileshared from websites :rolleyes:, but I found out at almost the last possible moment, and I just ended up getting the pictures from the websites again on a school PC.... :( Since then I have gone out of my way to use my iBook for presentations. Not that it helps in your case.

UnLogikal

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
don't drag and drop your pictures... goto the menu, add file, add images, then browse to find the images. this SHOULD WORK.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Chimera said:
Yes, but in my case the images were picts. They didn't start as .jpg. Make sure they have the .jpg extension, and as unlogikal says, import them, don't drag and drop.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
UnLogikal said:
don't drag and drop your pictures... goto the menu, add file, add images, then browse to find the images. this SHOULD WORK.

It's interesting that apps with Windows world connections seem to run into issues with the distinction between how you insert content....I know of at least one case that's almost the opposite. With SPSS and Excel, you can drag and drop a table from SPSS's output window into Excel.X, but you cannot copy and paste it. Although, happily, Excel 2004 seemed to fix this. Which surprised me, since I thought the fault was all on SPSS....

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
So if the original files were PICT files, you should convert them to JPG's, and then replace the PICT files in your PowerPoint presentation. That should do the trick, no?

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
wordmunger said:
Yes, don't copy and paste. Use Insert --> Picture --> From file.

Thanks alot for all the help, I hope this all works, if not then I have saved all the pictures I will be using and can do that bit on one of the school PCs.

Frankie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.