Powerpoint Probs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by B@SS_SHOCK, Dec 3, 2003.

1. B@SS_SHOCK macrumors member

I've been using Powerpoint X a lot lately for assesments as teachers somehow get the idea it's a great way to show work. I don't think that though, but it beats writing I suppose.

Anyways, I have my presentations rich in photos and stuff and then burn onto CD and copy into my network folder on the XP PC's.

So the problem goes that none of the pics, vids or audio shows, and comes with a message in replacing the media that goes "To View Photo, you will need Quicktime and a TIFF decompressor". What the hell? All of the photos are JPEG not TIFF, so what is going on?

Any help is really, really, really good, I seriously need help. :confused:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Powerpoint Probs

Welcome to the wonderful world of M$ cross-platform compatibility. FWIW, TIFF files are not compressed. At any rate, it seems likely that PowerPoint v.X decompresses JPEG files and stores them as TIFF in the PPT files. As a first step, I would recommend installing QuickTime on the target XP PCs.

3. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Or you can get Keynote by apple. I love it, it's a way better app then powerpoint plus the dissolves work a lot better and smoother. On the other hand it doesn't run on XP.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I gave a presentation with Keynote for my Linux networking class. Everyone ooohed and aaahed at the transitions :)

Afterwards, my teacher asked whether Keynote came on the Linux CDs. He sounded genuinely disappointed when I told him no.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

6. B@SS_SHOCK thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I knew about Keynote but at the time, I could get Office:X for the same price as Keynote, and I desperatly needed a new word-processor other than Appleworks.

Anyways, is Keynote completely compatible when running through Powerpoint on XP? I'd hate to get the same problem with Keynote as I have with Powerpoint X...

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Keynote has an option to export the file as a PowerPoint document. I imagine some functionality will be lost in the conversion....

But, Keynote is a great and simple program. Far more intuitive than PowerPoint (although that's not saying much :D )

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I use keynote and make quicktimes with them. Noone cares. They also look better than everyone elses' anyway.
    and to the original issue, do the files have to be with the actual powerpoint? Like have them stored together? I don't know at all but it's a wild guess.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Another sad thing is that you can put flash animations and interactive ones at that in PowerPoint for Mac but they don't work on a PC version (at least as far as I know). If anyone knows how to get it to work on a PC that would be awesome.

Basically, you can circumvent all of powerpoints controls and make you're own presentation that is so much better.

D