Power's Out :-(

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Oct 23, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Well, my power went out around an hour ago. None of you probably care, but I'm bored as heck. Any ideas what to do?

BTW--I'm typing this on my iBook running off a battery. The cable modem and router are running off an DC>AC converter in our car. In case you were wondering how I'm online.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Read a book, go for a walk, visit a friend, do some chores, hang around here, get cosy with your partner (if you have one), write those letters you've been putting off...

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Go for a walk: It's pouring rain. Why do you think the power's out ;) :D

Visit a friend: Nobody's around :(

Do Chores: Already finished them.

Write letters: I always use email...but I could do that.

Get cosy with partner: Don't have one.

Read a book: Not bad...

Hang around here: Good idea :D

4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    haha, you were determined to get online huh?

i personally don't mind blackouts, gives me a chance to listen to the radio and pretend to be sophisticated. ;)

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Gee, a whole freakin' hour. Up here in the redneck infested s***hole of Maine, all you need is a 50kph wind gust and the power is in danger of going out, sometimes for hours... once for 22 hours. We had to eat out for breakfast the following morning. :mad:

Rack up some cash and get a generator. (I'm finding out more and more than generators are more like converters, oddly enough.)

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's the ones that happen while you're on your Mac, working on some trillion-layer Photoshop job or billion page Quark job that's due to press next day... they're the ones that just make the fur fly!

It's happened at least twice in the past couple of years.

Maine, I understand.

London, I mean... c'mon.

hotwire132002: What about some (lo-bandwidth) online games. There's quite a few Flash-based ones around. Or dust off Chess on your Mac...

7. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Hey, up to 2+ hours now. We NEVER get power outages here, so it's a bit odd. Plus, I lost everything I was working on over the morning. Stupid me, I didn't save :mad: . (And I ALWAYS save every 5 minutes, too)

8. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm addicted to the 'net ;)

I can't go for an hour without it! ;)

Nah, There was noone around to play board games with, and I had work to do that I needed the 'net for (online courses).

9. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

And the outage continues...

We're 20 minutes from the 4 hour mark... Our power company said it would be fixed after 2 hours :mad: .

In other news, my car battery is probably running low on power by now ;). I don't know how much longer my internet connection will last...
    (And my parent's won't be too happy if the car won't start!)

Oh yeah, and my mom has a dinner party this evening--and our stove is electric :(

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If we don't hear back from you, then we'll send out a search party. I hear those woods can be pretty dark this time of the year...

Better find those candles!

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

When I lived in NJ, there was hardly ever a need for a generator. Tropical storms, severe thunderstorms, rarely any power outages at all. Though we once did have a 7 hour power outage because some douche bag crashed into a telephone pole and knocked over a bunch of power lines.

12. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Well, the power came back about an hour ago. Feels good to be on my G5 again! It was a grand total of a 6 hour outage. I had to turn off the converter for a while at the end, but I found something productive to do. I ended up rearranging my edit suite (and cleaning it up while I was at it). I love the new setup, though it's not quite done. I moved my desk from the wall to the center of the room, and I'm going to put a 27" TV against the wall where the desk was (I'm going to use it as an NTSC monitor for use while editing.) Hopefully, I can replace it with a 27" widescreen HD soon...

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

14. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

It's a go. The electricity came back in time for my mom to cook dinner.