PowerSupport's Anti Glare protector?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by steffi, May 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Good or bad? blurry or non-blurry? any pictures of text in Safari when it's on?

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I just placed an order. If it's anything like the iPhone version it should be fantastic. Def. not as pristine as the glass without a screen, but still very good, reduces smudges to almost nothing, and is fantastic outdoors.

4. macrumors 6502a

I've used these on my iPhone before and I love them. I'm definitely looking into one for my iPad but I'm trying to decide between PS and Steinheil.

5. macrumors newbie

I just got mine delivered today. I have one on my iPhone and think it's a quality product. The glare and constant fingerprints on iPad was driving me crazy. That said, there is a trade off using a screen protector.

On the plus side, the powersupport protector fit perfectly and went on very easily as long as you follow their directions (clean the screen really well first). It has definitely cut down the glare substantially. And no more fingerprints to wipe.

On the downside, it does change the feel of the screen. There is something really great about using the glass screen without a protector. It just feels better. Also, it does make things slightly less sharp, slightly duller. I've upped the brightness to compensate.

For me, I'm pretty sure it is worth the tradeoff. I figure after a few days I won't remember my iPad feeling any different but I will remember that I don't have glare and don't have to constantly clean the screen. Good job PS!

6. WLS
    macrumors 6502a

I haven't heard much about the crystal version. It is supposed to have less blur but what about fingerprints? Any actual users care to report on it?

7. macrumors 68000

richpjr

What about the home button? Do the screen protectors cover it? Or is there a hole in it?

8. macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I ordered the crystal version and I'm hoping it shows up today. I'll report back my impressions.

9. macrumors regular

hole

10. macrumors regular

I have it and love it, glare is reduced significantly. The only thing that sucks is I have like 4 or 5 pieces of dust under it that are really annoying!

11. macrumors newbie

iPad1iPad

I have the PowerSupport Crystal version for the iPad and I love it! It cuts down on some of the glare and the fingerprints aren't quite as noticeable. You do still have to clean the screen with a microfiber cloth every once and a while, but no big deal.

What I like about it is that it fits the iPad perfectly and it gives the screen a nice smooth feel (my fingers slide better on the screen protector than they do the raw glass). Plus, I am very confident that the screen is protected from scratches and wear of the olephobic coating (according to the iPad User Guide this coating dimishes over time).

Installing the screen protector was a little more difficult than the one for my iPod Touch due to the size. With the iPad version, they do not provide the pre-application sheet to remove lint, hair or dust, so you will need to install it after a good microfiber cloth cleaning and in good lighting (save yourself time and check for any dust before you apply the screen protector). Last second dust or lint that falls on the glass before the screen protector is applied can be removed by peeling back the screen protector to the problem spot and using a rolled piece of transparent (Scotch) tape to remove the dust (just follow the instructions that come with the screen protector!). Bubbles easily work their way out by applying slight pressure and pushing them to the edge. After about 10 minutes, my protector was on and clean of any dust or bubbles. Can't even tell it is on!

12. macrumors member

Love mine on the iPhone. Just ordered the anti-glare for iPad. I have to say it is the best so far.

13. macrumors 65816

Wow, $32.28 for a piece of anti-glare film including tax and shipping. It's a little pricey. Anyone know when it'll be out on Amazon?

14. macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

In general, I've always found accessories for the iPhone (and now iPad) to be over-priced but if this lasts me the entire life of the iPad, which my iPhone screen protector has, then I'll be happy.

I also love the fact that it eliminates glare AND smudges. Smudges being the one thing I hate about touch devices.

15. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3-7 days.

Why would we know?

16. macrumors regular

Crystal v regular

What's the difference? On line the descriptions are almost identical.

17. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The difference is in the title. Anti-glare or crystal clear.

18. macrumors regular

Godzirra!

Just got done putting mine on, and it is awesome!!!! The change of screen sharpness is there, definitely a little more blurry, but it is negligible. I have some dust still under the screen protector but it isn't causing bubbles and you can't see it without the screen off. Does change the feel, but I am sure it will get smoother. Definitely recommend it, really simple to out on. Just make sure you have some tape.

19. macrumors 6502

billyripkin

If you have a iPad you need one of these. I treat mine like a baby and still got some minor scratches within 3 weeks on the glass. I got my screen on perfectly and it majorly reduces the glare and smudges. Best $30 I have spent this month.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I received mine today and I've got a perfect install as I took a ruler and simply worked it along as it flattened out and there's not a single bubble anywhere.

I highly recommend using the ruler as you lay it on the screen it will make for a perfect install.

IMHO the effect u you see is exactly the same as the iPhone. If you don't find the clarify an issue on the iPhone you won't on the iPad. For me it will be a trial since it definately diminishes the clarity of the display. It will be significantly less sharp right from the get go.

I do like how it hides finger prints and the most important factor is that your finger now glides across the screen instead of getting stuck as you swipe.

I'll be trying to tolerate this as much as possible.

21. macrumors 6502

I just installed the sgp anti glare. Very easy install but the clarity is very diminished. I do like how it feels and I am going to give it a few days to see if I like it. I really miss the beautiful screen though.

22. macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Fingerprints are gone.

As is the intensity of your screen.

It really does mute the intensity of the IPad screen. The trade off of course is that your screen always seems to be perfectly clear, no wiping it down every other minute.

23. macrumors 68030

I'm in the same boat...I wonder what return policies are for both..and how customer support is..that's probably a bigger deal than the minor quality differences, if any. Let us know what you chose! I never opted for antiglare on my iPhone as the 3GS seemed to do fine..the iPad is tough with even overhead lighting, let alone outside. Also, I am tempted to try a much cheaper eBay option as mot of these companies are not producing their own product just rebranding the same one.

24. macrumors 604

clayj

I just received my Power Support antiglare film in the mail today... but I'm not installing it until my SGP antiglare film needs replacing. $25 is a bit much to just pull the old film off and discard it after only a few days of use.

There really is no perfect solution for this -- a glossy, sharp screen is going to show fingerprints and smudges. Whether you get antiglare film or crystal film, you need film -- the glass is going to get scratched if you don't protect it.

25. macrumors 68030

What led you to change from sgp? Between the two I was leaning toward sgp. I still think these are way overpriced and am looking at trying some much less costly versions.