Powewbook Finally Came!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jumpman25, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    Last week Saturday I ordered a 12" Powerbook and today it finally arrived. I am typing this on it right now. I told you that I would write a review on it when I got it so here it is.

First off, this is my first time ever owning a mac, so those of you potential switchers out there can relate to this.

The box came around 10:30 this mourning. I was suprised by the packaging job. The box that the powerbook comes in was wrapped in a plastic bag, and that box was put into another box. When I opened the apple box, all the cords, manuals, CD's, were on the top, and the Powerbook was on the bottom. I installed the airport extreme card manually with no problems. The Powerbook looked immaculate when I took it out of its bag. Everything on it was perfect. The pictures on apples website don't even begin to do this thing justice. There were no scratches on the body, everything was aligned perfectly unlike some stories we have all heard about the 15" Powerbook. Anyways, after I installed the AE card, I plugged the notebook in and turned it on.

I went through all the setting up, entering my name, setting the time, etc. and that was no problem. The notebook automatically configured AE for me. I did absolutly nothing but install the card. I was suprised when it said that the registration was sent. I didn't even know I was connected. Anyway, I was at the desktop after 5 minutes.

The screen is the perfect size. I was a little skeptical at first thinking 12" would be to small, but it is perfect. The screen looks like it is widescreen when I am sitting in frount of it. Or wider than 4:3 at least. I don't have any dead pixils (whew). I love the way OSX looks. Going from Win XP to OSX feels the same as when I went from Win 98 to Win XP.

The keyboard is one of the best I have used in a notebook. My dad has a Vaio, and the PB keyboard is miles ahead of the Vaio. The keyboard feels a little firm, the keys have just the right amount of spring to them, typing is a breeze.

I don't understand why people say that the powerbooks get hot. My PB gets warm at most. It is not uncomfortable to put in my lap, I can only feel the heat if I press my hand right abover where the Hard Drive is, and it is only warm when I do this. Note that I have yet to run any hard drive intensive tasks yet though.

I was worried that the PB would not be fast enough with wait times and stuff like this. I have not had to wait for anything. Everything runs very smoothe. You tell the PB to do something, and the next thing you know it is done. It's really that simple. I previously had a loaded Athlon 64 3200+ system so I know what a fast computer is like. With the standard computing I have done with the PB over the last few hours, I would say it is every bit as fast as the 64. I'm sure if I run some more intense programs, the 3200+ would be faster, but for everyday computing it is just as fast, responsive, etc. With that said, I like the way this computer runs much more than that of my 64 system.

Dead quiet. Enough said.

The only problem I had is with the one button mouse on the keyboard. I am trying to get use to it, and am sure I will in time, but it is just a little wierd.

Well, I think I covered everything. I could not be more satisfied with the PB. It is far more than I expected when I ordered it. The attention to detail on it is amazing. I could go on and on but have to stop somewhere. If you have any questions that were not answered just post and I will get back to you. Any reccomendation would also be appreciated.
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    well, it's real. do some CPU/HD intensive tasks and 12" PB gets hot, especially the Rev. A on the left palmrest. that's why people have been saying this - it's not just a made up story complaint...

congrats on your PB!
  3. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Use if for a while and then come back with an update on how the switch is going, and what issues you have encountered being a switcher.
  4. dudeami macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004
    I am glad to here that you are enjoying your new purchase. I do not like the one button mouse either, so I have never really used them, except on other peoples Mac's. You can buy a two or multi-button mouse with scroll wheel from several different vendors for your Mac. For me, control-clicking just doesn't cut it.
  5. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Land o' Mac!

Congrats and welcome to the Land o' Mac! If you have a Rev B powerbook, then you won't really be dealing with any heat issues. Rev A had the heat issues, in spades. Rev B has pretty much taken care of it, though over a long period of time--or very intensive stuff it can get uncomfortably warm (never burning hot) underneath, especially if there isn't much circulation (if you were, for example, to balance it on a pillow).

6. kaylee macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004
    did your powerbook come with idvd? (this was asked in the other thread from when you hadnt yet bought/received your powerbook yet)

also, powerbook is spelt wrong in the thread title
  7. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    Yes, it did come with iDVD. When you click to launch iDVD a message comes up that says "your computer does not have a supported superdrive. While you will be able to work with iDVD, you will not be able to burn your work to a DVD".