PPC 970 + Newer G4's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trose, Feb 7, 2003.

1. trose macrumors regular

Dec 28, 2002
    Im just curious if my Dual 867 G4 will sometime in the future be upgradeable to a PPC 970,or would it be so different as to not work. Could 68k machines upgrade to PPC ever? Im pretty sure this is a yes,but it will most likely be upgradable to a better G4 in the future when released right?. Why is it that current G4 upgrades dont include the "Mirrored Door" in the supported systems, was there a major change in architecture from the earlier Quicksilvers?
  2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    No machine is upgradeable to the PPC 970

From what I understand, no current machine will be upgradeable to the PPC 970. The structure of the two chips are very different, meaning that machines featuring the PPC 970 will be running completely different architecture. Do a search for PPC 970 upgrades, and you'll find a couple threads that explain why you won't be able to upgrade in greater detail.
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    I think the reason the Mirrored Door models aren't listed as being compatible is because they're too new and maybe the upgrade manufacturers aren't expecting anyone to have a need to upgrade them yet. I think the processor cards are the same, but I'm not sure.

Some later 68K systems were upgradeable to PPCs.

It would be impossible to just stick a PPC 970 in the socket in place of a G4, but it is conceivable that an upgrade card manufacturer like Sonnet etc. could engineer the necessary logic to translate the G4's bus to the 970's. The 970 would still be crippled by lack of memory bandwidth, though, caused by that old & slow memory bus.
  4. trose thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 28, 2002
    Yup yup

Ok,thats sorta what I imagined. Well,hopefully in a couple years when I feel the need for a bit more speed I can upgrade to a 1.6-7 ghz G4.
  5. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001
    trose, alex_ant:

GIven the tremendous difference between the FSB of a PPC-970 and that of a G4, and seeing as how the PPC-970 FSB is quite complex, I think it is a safe bet that there will never be a PPC-970 upgrade for any current G4 motherboard. That would be a project far more complex and expensive than any upgrade maker has ever undertaken. Not to mention, who would go through all the expense so that they can have a PPC-970 crippled by a translated, hacked 133/166mhz FSB?
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I think ddtim hit the nail on the head. but do remember that if the 7457 shows that it will go into the powermac pretty easy so i think there will still be an upgrade path.