Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Hi everyone, I have a very strange thing going on with my PPC G5. First, here are the details of my mac:

PowerPC G5 Dual 2.7Ghz
4.5 GB ram
250GB Hard Drive
ATI- Radeon 9650 256Mb Video Card
OSx 10.5.6

Now, the problem is, whenever I restart, the computer shuts down and doesn't starts again. I turn it off, turn it on back again, and stays the same. Also, I see a red light very faintly through the front of the CPU. This only happens on restart, if I shut down, everything goes fine and I can power up again without a problem.

I opened the case, removed all the cards, memory, disconnected drives, etc.,and I found out that when I remove the video card, upon connecting it again, it starts normally.

Does anybody knows why this happens? I'm not too worried since I can still make it work, but the proccess of opening the case, removing and plaing the video card, etc. It's a bit cumbersome. What worries me is if it can someday get worse and lose some information or get the hardware damaged.

Please, any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.