Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Just ordered up a Imac in the following spec

iMac, 20-inch,
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
500GB Serial ATA drive
256MB VRAM
SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
Wireless keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X

This will replace my Mini 1.42 512meg, and an ageing Windows PC

im hopeing for a large improvment in speed etc..

Cannot Wait :D

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think you will be very surprised with the speed... but it depends on what you do of course. Either way, congrats man, I hope you will be very very happy with your purchase!!

Was the mini your first mac?

Philgr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
Yes the Mini was my frist mac and TBH i feel i the mini restricted my 1st Mac experience.

i got fed up waiting for the beach ball to stop spinning. for surfting the net and basic email it was perfect and gave me a insight in to the Mac world that i like very much

Im hoping to broaden my Mac experience with the Imac, and use it for photo, movies, music, work etc.. and no longer have to wait for the machine to catch up with me.

The big big plus for me is the ability to boot back into windows at any time so i can use the software that i already own.

fingers crossed my Imac will meet my expectations

PG

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
My sister loves her PPC Mini - she uses it for email, word processing, and safari, though, so that figures...

Occasionally she opens up iPhoto or iMovie, but she hardly ever sees the beachball (and she only has 512 MB of ram). So yeah, there's a place for the mini in Apple's lineup, although it should only cost 400-500 bucks.

Put simply, that iMac 20" is going to kill the mini.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
You'll definitely enjoy the new iMac. Funny, mine seems rather dated now. And it just turned a year old!!

The transition to Intel has brought about some major changes to Apple, even down to how the computer looks. Before Intel, a change in the design of the iMac marked a significant change in processor technology. That no longer applies. The Core 2 Duo marks the third processor to be used in the current iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.