PPC RIP when ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CelticBhoy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. CelticBhoy macrumors member

When will PPC hardware begin to be unsupported by apps being intel only ? Or will Apple keep their options open in case the intel roadmap goes off the road ?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd say it will be 2-3 years after the last PPC machines ship at the earliest. Once Apple stop shipping PPC binaries they will probably keep building them internally, just in case, just like they did with Intel in the past. If any promising new architectures ship I would imagine they will port to that internally as well.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I would guess that there'll be PowerPC compatible versions of apps for a couple years at least. There's a huge user base of Mac users out there with PowerPc based machines, and Apple would be crazy to cut them off just yet...

More likely they'll just carry on with Universal apps for a good spell.

4. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Yeah, I also think we'll start seeing a few developers maybe offering two versions of their programs, PPC or x86, to take full advantage of the new Intel chips

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I don't see any reason for them not to check the check-box.

Takes very little time :p And I have a PPC iMac :D

I just hope that my Machine will run the new Leopard feartures like Dashboard with coreimage was for 10.4 ;)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No we won't. There is no need for this. A Universal Binary contains separate code for both platforms without needing 2 version. It can contain hand-optimised code for either or both platforms are required. Creating 2 versions would be more work for no gain.

7. tomacintosh macrumors regular

^ Ahh right I thought all universal binaries ran normal on a PPC but through emulation (rossetta) on Intel

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I think you've got it wrong. All apps today for Mac are PPC based. Intel has Rosetta - which emulates the PPC binary to work on the Intel based processor.

Or did I just read your post wrong. :confused:

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To be clear, Universal Binaries have both PPC code and Intel code within a single application bundle. Rosetta is required to run PPC-only applications on Intel-based Macs. People, this is not that hard. :rolleyes:

10. tomacintosh macrumors regular

11. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

as long as they keep up Universal binarys theres no reason power pc should die at all. if the technology for a powerbook g6 comes along I think they should put it out.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Various Apple service agreements pretty much assure that Apple will keep PowerPC in their software product plans for three years after the last PowerPC hardware ships. Outside vendors can do whatever they like, of course, based on where they think they will find sales. In reality, it all depends on how enthusiastic current PowerPC owners are about buying new programs and upgrades.

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Or until Steve flicks the switch which will shut down all those PPC machines worldwide. :D