Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
mhar4 said:
Now I'm just confused.

How about this: if I bought a Macintel Mini (say) and used its installation disk to install OSX onto the Firewire drive, could this version run both the Mini and the PowerBook? i.e. is the version of Tiger which comes with Intel Macs a "Universal" version or is there, in fact, no such thing. i.e. there are "Universal" applications, but still two versions of OSX for the two processor classes, rather than one new Universal version which contains both PPC and Intel code.

Pretty much, though it might become Universal when Leopard is released.

Mehari

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Can't boot from an external HD/Ipod on MacBook...

I don't know why but it seems that I can't get my Ipod to boot the Macbook as I did with my previous 12" PB. When I connect it through the firewire and I run the OS X installer it indicates that it cannot install it on the specific drive altough there is plenty of space available to do so. tried with another external FW drive and got the same comment ?

Anyone else experienced this, is there a fix or am I too stooooopid....

2ndPath

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Mehari said:
I don't know why but it seems that I can't get my Ipod to boot the Macbook as I did with my previous 12" PB. When I connect it through the firewire and I run the OS X installer it indicates that it cannot install it on the specific drive altough there is plenty of space available to do so. tried with another external FW drive and got the same comment ?

Anyone else experienced this, is there a fix or am I too stooooopid....

For external hard disks on Intel Macs there are different choices of partition tables. To be bootable the GUID Partition Table has to be used, which is different from the standard Partition Table used on all Powerpc machines. To change the partition table you have to use disk utility and chose the format with the options button in the partition screen. I guess this means that you will also lose all the data on that disk. It is not mentioned whether the disk is then readable on a PPC mac, but I can tell you that I couldn't read such a disk on my old Powerbook with 10.3 on it. I also don't know, what the IPod will say about this, but I guess it will not work with the different partition table (only as external disk, but not as music player).

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
treblah said:
That's not entirely true… ;)

Tiger is not currently Universal but it is possible to put PPC Tiger and Intel Tiger on one external drive and boot off either one.

Yay! Thank-you. Thread successfully resolved. A link from there pointing to here sums it up quite well -

To quote the author Jonathan Rentzsch:

"Even if you could somehow mesh the two schemes, the sad fact is that Mac OS X 10.4.4's double life has not been reconciled to the point where one copy of 10.4.4 will boot both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs. You can see the evidence of this when you select About This Mac on both systems and click the version number. On PowerPC-based Macs, it reads "Build 8G32", while on Intel-based Macs it reads "8G1165". Eventually Apple will reconcile Mac OS X to one universal build for both systems, but we're not there today."

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
thewhitehart said:
Yay! Thank-you. Thread successfully resolved. A link from there pointing to here sums it up quite well -

To quote the author Jonathan Rentzsch:

"Even if you could somehow mesh the two schemes, the sad fact is that Mac OS X 10.4.4's double life has not been reconciled to the point where one copy of 10.4.4 will boot both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs. You can see the evidence of this when you select About This Mac on both systems and click the version number. On PowerPC-based Macs, it reads "Build 8G32", while on Intel-based Macs it reads "8G1165". Eventually Apple will reconcile Mac OS X to one universal build for both systems, but we're not there today."

This I really don't understand - the 10.3.4, 10.4.2 and 10.4.1 for the Intel DTK were completely universal - you could install the intel build onto a PowerPC Mac, and move the hard drive into a PC and it could boot fine and work like any PPC OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.