PPC vs. Palm best calander organizer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by damenace, Sep 8, 2005.

1. damenace macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2005
    Ok, my main purpose for getting a PDA is so that I don't have to turn on my computer EVERYTIME i need to see my schedule. I would like bluetooth and a color screen. Although those are my main concerns, I would pay more for a handy feature. Oh, yes I love iCAL its color coding and scheme for scheduling things.

As for which OS what are the pro's and cons of Palm OS and PPC??

I know I could always get pocketmac to sync ppc pda's but will it do it properly?
  2. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2003
    You can get a color screen and bluetooth with either PDA flavor.

I would recommend that you go to a store to try out a few PPC and Palm devices. While each uses tapping on the screen as the primary input method, the user interfaces and general user experiences are quite different. PPC is very Windows-ish, while Palm is not. Pros and cons depend on your point of view.

Personally, I prefer Palm devices.
  3. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I use a PPC and love it. Syncing wise, I tried it once without downloading any fancy software but it didn't work (though I've heard good things about the Missing Sync). I've never had a need to sync; I don't check my mail on it and I don't use iCal (never had a need to put my calendar on the computer because I'm never at home when I need a calendar and my PPC is always with me).

I have a Dell Axim X50V btw; great for videos and such as well. I love having my days activities laid out for me on the main screen (tastefully). The calendar featue does what it needs to do. I don't know how it compares to Palm as I have limited experience with them, but here are my (few) complaints:
    -No feature for making a non-appointment in the calendar (i.e. I put things like "Biology Test" on my calendar, but I either have to schedule it as an "All Day Event" which will show a 'confliction' between any other events that day, or schedule it for the time slot I have Biology, which is a pain)

-No text-based week view. The week view shows only colored bars to represent the fact that appointments exist, but I would rather have a list for each day

-No color coding