PPC with 802.11n (new airport base station)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by donniedarko, Feb 18, 2007.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I have searched and was able to infer that it will only be third party, and some one said we will have to wait for new drivers?

Could someone set me straight on this, please.

Im getting the feeling I have to buy a new laptop...:(

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

PPC Macs don't have 'n' wireless cards. Only the newest C2D Macs do, if you have a PPC Mac, you don't. Don't buy a new Mac over this, it's ridiculous. You will not notice the faster wireless speed unless you're transferring really large files wirelessly on a regular basis.

To get 'n' wireless on a PPC Mac, you'll need to get a wireless card or adapter thats capable of it.

3. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Write to Belkin

Let them know we're out here and will buy their stuff if they'd make us drivers.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree with livingfortoday, this is not enough reason (not to me at least) to go and buy a new laptop. Sure 802.11 n is much faster on paper, but few people I would imagine will use it enough/correctly to actually take advantage of it. :)

5. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Peeps

I want to be able to use Apple TV.... this is why I asked.

To stream video in my house would be really cool

So again, can I do it?

6. kermit4161 macrumors regular

If that is what you want to do, I'd recommend getting a Mac Mini and the 'N' Airport Extreme... using it in place of the AppleTv :)

I think it'd be cheaper than upgrading to a new laptop and you could do more with the MacMini than the AppleTV. But you aren't going to get 'N' performance off a PPC Mac...

Just a thought :cool:

7. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Kermit!

That is what I figured.... :(

All good, time to save some loot :)

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

The Mini doesn't have n capability either, though, so there's no point in getting an n capable wireless router.

9. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

I would never get a Mac Mini anyways. Not purposeful for me...:)

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I guess there's no chance Apple with update the airport express cards to have N capability . . .

11. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

This is the same thing when they migrated to the PPC platform... kind of a drag

12. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

I think the true benifit of 802.11 n to laptops is the range not the speed, since -g is plenty for a normal broadband connection. Yet, the benifit of range will also improve your speed if you were on the margins of you network.

13. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

I started the thread because I want to use the Apple TV unit... if I didnt want that feature I'd not consider the updated comp.

14. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

If you have a PC slot, then you can get a -n card as for the driver. Im not sure where. But PC -n cards are coming out. If you dont.... then...

15. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You realize the cards in the new C2D Macs have a different chipset, right There's no software fix for this? Hell, if that's all it took, I'd like Apple to please enable to upgrade on my Powerbook 5300 to make is a C2D. Pretty please? Sheesh, there they go again, always trying to rip us off by introducing new technologies!

16. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I understand that completely. I'm talking about my iMac g4, which you had to buy the airport extreme (express?) card for separately. So, in theory, one could introduce a new version (update) of that card with N capabilities.

I'm guessing, however, that there's not enough of a market for them to bother with a new product . . .

17. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

Same, I am talking about my PB G4 1.33. I do have a slot or atleast I believe I have one. Ive never used it...

If I got a new Intel chipset comp and couldnt update I would pretty bitter, if that is what the other posters are inferring.