Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I just thought I will let everyone know that even if for some stupid reason Apple does not release PPC970 Macs, the CPU upgrade companies can. This is because according to IBM the PPC970 is compatible with the G3 (and of cource the G4).

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Re: PPC970 on Mac COMFIRMED!!!

Originally posted by hvfsl
I just thought I will let everyone know that even if for some stupid reason Apple does not release PPC970 Macs, the CPU upgrade companies can. This is because according to IBM the PPC970 is compatible with the G3 (and of cource the G4).

Can you clarify your title "PPC970 on Mac COMFIRMED!!!" ? Where is it confirmed?

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
I wouldn't say confirmed..

These chips you mentioned have totally different pinouts, and the 970 may never fit into a current G4 or iBook motherboard.

Bad assumption dude!!!!

Max.

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Normally I'd complain that your thread is a piece of crap, misleading and a complete waste of my time...

but it's Friday!

Viva la Friday!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Somebody lock this sick puppy or change the TITLE.

hvfsl must be the one member wearing flame-retardant undies today.

Or likes playing with the lighter while sitting in a pool of gasoline.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I was bored and wanted to see if anyone would actually read this thread, I am sorry if this has caused anyone distress.

Also it does not matter that the PPC970 is not pin compatible with the G4/G3, there are ways of making converters. The G3/G4 is not pin compatible with the PPC604, but people can still instill G3s in those machines.

OK I have changed the title for those who do not like to waste time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.