PPP Persistent Connection Problem (AOL Related)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dwhthompson, Sep 2, 2004.

1. dwhthompson macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2004

I am fairly new to OS X and am running system 10.2.8.

Have been having a recent problem where my MAC kept on dialing out on my modem.

Couldn't figure out what programme was trying to go online and I checked out the system log /var/logs/system.log where it appeared that an "aol.net" file kept activating the internet connection.

Now, while I was doing research away from home I confess that I did temporarily try using AOL as my internet provider... but no longer.

I have now removed the AOL programme and have searched and removed all other files called "aol" from system.

However, after removing files from the folder "com.aol.net.ppp" I received the message that "There was a problem with my PPP Settings".

When I replaced the folder again, I was able to connect to my ISP.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem and remove the viral AOL software from my machine? I hate to have to reinstall 10.2.6 and then do all the upgrading again to get the right (non aol) ppp files.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

However, there was one set
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    My iMac had an AOL for Mac uninstaller located in /Applications/Installers. However, if you deleted that, you're best off reinstalling the Mac OS. Does anyone have a better idea or have experience with AOL (since I don't)?
  3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    This isn't really related, but it might be pertinent.

My old iBook had iChat installed... but I didn't want to use it. Unfortunately for me, it had the "Show status in menu" tag ON, and when I deleted iChat... the menu icon STAYED THERE... even though the application was gone! My sense is that even though you deleted AIM, this "echo" dialing your PPP connection may have remained, since there may have been a "Dial my connection" option set, that remained even after clearing AOL from your computer.
  4. MartinK macrumors newbie

May 20, 2005
    remove "postoptions" in addition to "com.aol.net.ppp"

Yes. Anybody who's ever had AOL software installed then deinstalled and now cannot anymore establish another PPP connection should remove Volume/private/etc/ppp/postoptions along with com.aol.net.ppp

Both files are mentioned in the AOL installer log, but AOL deinstallation routine will leave 'all items installed into the system' in place, as AOL installer states at the end of the deinstallation routine. So, no use to touch that pesky piece of software again, since in any case you'll need to remove all of them manually.