PPPoE and Apple talk at the same time???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Feb 25, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

I was just wondering if anybody figured out how to run PPPoE (DSL) and appletalk (for windows file sharing) at the same time.

Applecare says it can't be done, but they say that about a lot of things. In fact the macrumors community has WAY more fixes for problems than Applecare... Don't you find that a little strange? Anyways I am getting off topic.

Every time I want to share with my Windoze boxes (Basically to transfer stuff from Kazaa) I have to disable PPPoE in network settings and start appletalk (they won't run together)

I have DAVE, but still to no avail.

Please don't suggest NEO instead of Kazaa, as it is not the only reason I have my Powermac networked with my Windoze boxes. :)

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Why are you using appletalk to talk to the windoze boxes? You should use SMB. You don't need Dave, SMB is built into Mac OS X.

3. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, that does not work with DSL, unless you know of a different way.

4. xlacrosse macrumors newbie

This is what you gotta do.

FIRST of ALL... You shouldnt be using AppleTalk to talk to a Microsoft Box UNLESS Your running Windows 2000 Server or Greater. I have it set up that way in my home.

Open System Pref.
    Go To Network
    Drop down the Adapter Menu and Select Network Port Config

Then Click New ( Name it LAN )

Make Sure the order is correct or PPPoE will not work. The Adapter Running PPPoE must be the first one in the list.

Then Configure the LAN adapter for AppleTalk

Everything should work .... BUT you will not see your Windows Boxs in the Server List... since the will only show Computers on the local subnet. And it will look at the PPPoE Connection since its the first in the list.

The best soultion is to get yourself a cheap router the supports PPPoE then configure your computers to work off the router. You'll be much better off that way

5. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

How can I see??

Thanks for you help xlacrosse, but I think i am doing something wrong. How am I supposed to see my Windoze boxes?? I can't get it to work