Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benyaimin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I wanna use an old mac I have for web browsing. I have DSL so I need a PPPoE client. Any suggestions?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
benyaimin said:
I wanna use an old mac I have for web browsing. I have DSL so I need a PPPoE client. Any suggestions?
There is one known general-purpose PPoE client for MacOS 9. It is Finepoint's MacPoET, a port of the developer's WinPoET PPoE client. Not only is MacPoET not free, it is not cheap. It is something that you should have received as part of your ISP sign-up package. You should look at your ISP's software download page for a PPoE client. For example, Verizon DSL's client may be found here.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You actually have two options:

1) Check your ISP's support site for a downloadable one. I know the former SBC Yahoo! (now at&t) DSL service also had a PPPoE client for OS9, although their new modems do everything internally.

2) Get a cheap router and just set it up to handle the PPPoE. This has the added advantage of providing some security, as the router acts as a sort of firewall. This will work with any ISP, and you can connect any computer with an Ethernet port to it, regardless of OS.

There might also be a #3 option: Can't some new DSL modems be configured to do PPP internally? I'm not an expert in that area, but my modem, at least, just spits out an IP address via DHCP--the login info is stored in the modem. If so, buying a new modem might fix your issue, if your ISP allows it.

...if 1 and 3 don't pan out, #2 is relatively cheap and easy, so that's what I'd do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.