PPPowerbook Question-Applecare and Ram

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shortsord, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Shortsord macrumors member

I was at the apple store the other day, and while talking to a peon there was told, among other things, that if I were to install RAM into a powerbook on my own, basically anything aside from Apple upgrading it themselves, that would void entirely applecare. Now, this peon said some other rather uninformed things, and I was fairly curious as to whether this is true or not?
    It would be very disappointing to know that I'm going to need to spend $450 on something I was planning on buying for $250.
    And, if this is true, where would be the best place to get some third-pary insurance, preferably someplace with accidental coverage as well, if that's possible?

Cheers.

(As an aside, considering this would be my first Powerbook, what is the general realm of thought on the graphics card, the 9700 w/128 VRAM? I was curious as to how it's reagarded in terms of video and gaming performance. Just curious.)

2. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

RAM is considered an user-installable option and does NOT void your warranty (regular or AppleCare).
    I have had several employees/geniuses at the Apple store confirm this for me, and have also read this numerous times on this forum.
    If you have any doubt, you could consider calling Apple directly.

If you search here under "RAM," you will find MANY threads about where to buy. Some of the more commonly mentioned places are:
    www.crucial.com
    www.datamem.com
    www.macsales.com (aka OWC)

Good luck!

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I believe that is correct-- however, Apple will not then place your own RAM under the rest of the warranty, Apple will not cover data resulting from a user botching the RAM installation, and will not be held responsible of somehow that 3rd party RAM leads to problems w/ the machine.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

You're absolutely right; that's a great point.

The RAM you install is not covered by Apple, and if you cause any damage while installing it, that's not covered either.
    However, the rest of your computer is still covered.

Of course, if something glitchy happens after installing the RAM (e.g. a kernel panic), the first thing they're going to tell you to do is to take it out & reboot to see if the problem is the RAM itself.

Thanks for the clarification, devilot76!

5. frodus macrumors newbie

i found out at state farm that they do a laptop insurance thing...it's like $40 a year and she said it even covers dropping it or stepping on it....even getting a virus, not that that's likely

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple doesn't cover your data in any case. No matter what component is at fault, you're on your own for data backup, recovery and reinstallation. Best bet if the machine is still operational is to use Carbon Copy Cloner or similar to image your hard drive to an external Firewire drive (beg borrow or rent if you have to) before you send the machine in for service.

In general, if you send a machine in for repair, count on the data being erased. They may replace the hard drive, they may replace the machine, or they may just decide to reformat the drive in the process of diagnosis/repair.

Make Sure You Have Backups!

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i believe if you ask them to they can try to recover data on your disk, but it costs A LOT of money, and i mean a lot. When my G3 iBook died they told me it could cost thousands to fix, and my mother laughed at me and said none of my english reports would ever be worth that much. so back up your own data

8. Greenone macrumors 6502

Hello All -

I just ordered the new 15" Powerbook and I'm going to put in my own GB extra - in addition to the 512 MB it comes with. Any other sites anyone would like to recommend, besides the three listed at the beginning of this thread? The second one is not priced as well as the first and third, both of which sell 1GB for around $120.00

Secondly, between the first and third companies (MyOWC/eshop.macsales, and Crucial), can anyone tell me which company (re. memory, at least) you recommend over the other?

Thanks!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you are in the USA I like Data Memory Systems Their 1 Gb for the new Powerbooks is US$106, which is considerably less than Crucial's $125. Besides, they are Mac people and honest and have been in the business for 18 years. Call them on the phone and check for yourself.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

10. Greenone macrumors 6502

Much appreciated, thanks! I'll check them out now...