Pre-E3 2005: Breaking: Revolution Details

Discussion in 'Games' started by manicdvln, May 13, 2005.

1. manicdvln macrumors member

http://cube.ign.com/articles/613/613340p1.html

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds good so far. I just love next gen console announcement time!

Sadly, I will miss all the breaking news. I will be away from the internet Mon-Wed next week, as we vacation in Saint Michael's on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The B&B we are staying at has no internet access in the rooms. :eek: I doubt they even get G4 on their piddly cable system. :(

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. erikk18 macrumors newbie

one inch

Well it seems as though they're finally figuring out how to put the G5 in a smaller enclosure...

Isn't the revolution supposed to house 2 G5's?

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Nintendo is the last gaming console with any bit of originality left in them.
    They just make stupid mistakes sometimes.

They're like the Apple of gaming consoles. ;)

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I enjoy Nintendo quite a bit. Granted I own a lot more XBox games than Nintendo games but I'm a sucker for new controllers and styles of games. I find that Nintendo has very few games I want but the ones I want I really enjoy... XBox has a bunch of games and half of the ones I have are junk... maybe I'm just more picky for my cube. I like both systems though... don't have a PS2 at the moment mainly because it's "close enough" to the PS3 launch date (or so I keep telling myself) that I'll just wait for that. The cube and xbox I've had forever it seems.

7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Here's hoping Nintendo can get more than a few games for Revolution that I, a 20 year old college student, would enjoy playing.

I want to want Nintendo's new console.

8. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

9. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

There may not be a HD-DVD format in the near future. I wonder if "standard DVD media" just means they are not going to use mini disks again or something like that.

10. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

:( If sony has blu-ray on the PS3 this is gonna suck. lets hope they just mean the same sized DvDs or something.

11. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Ah seconds two late. I wonder how big games are going to get in the next 6 years?

12. Rovias macrumors member

You know, a lot of people diss Nintendo (and I used to be one of them, which is why I own an XBox at the moment), but with all of the new announcements concerning next generation consoles, Nintendo is the only one who really interests me. IMO, the XBox 360 is just meh, and will only let me play newer, prettier versions of existing games. Graphics are important, but I'll take something innovative and groundbreaking over them any day of the week.

All I can say is, I'll be in line to buy a Revolution on launch day, while Microsoft and Sony will have to wait for subsequent price drops to earn my money.

13. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I'm starting to wonder if we will even need a new format to see HD-videos.

Take this quicktime7 video for instance: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgallery/tobymacgone.html

It's a 720 video, 164 megs for 216 seconds.

164(megs) / 216 (seconds) *60 (secons) *180 (minutes) = 8 200 MB for three hours of video, or roughly 2,75GB/hour. Meaning you can get over three hours of H.264 video onto a dual layer dvd disc! Anyone know how compressed this is?

14. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I think they will get as big as they can. If PS3 does have blue-ray and nintendo doesn't use a similar size format, it could very well suck for Nintendo.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yes, Nintendo had better use HD-DVD or the Blu-ray/HD-DVD hybrid that *might* be made in their console.

I wouldn't actually mind minature HD-DVD disks (GC sized). The GC disks were single layer and held 1/3rd the stuff of a normal DVD.

1/3rd of a dual layer HD-DVD is 10 GB. IF they did it, it'd be hilarious to see Nintendo parading, "Our mini-disks have more space than the XBox's full sized disks!" And with tri-layer HD-DVD's, Nintendo could got to 15 GB.

Of course, Sony would be laughing at them both with 50 GB Blu-ray disks.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

This doesn't mean no HD-DVD.

All this means is that the Revolution can play DVD disks. This was a given, since GameCube disks are minature...DVD's.

So it could still be HD-DVD, just with backwards compatability to play GC disks/normal DVD's.

(btw, the GameCube's firmware can be flashed to let it read DVD disks)

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Of all the systems coming out, my interest goes something like Revolution > PS3 > Xbox 360.

This is really cool news. Very cool about the Wi-Fi small footprint of the machine. Can't wait to see Nintendo's design. Though I too am hoping for Blu-Ray or a similar game medium. We'll see at E3.

I have a GC, PS2, and Xbox, and I can honestly say the little Gamecube piques my interest the most. I'm more about gameplay than graphics I guess, and feel a bit of nostalgia when I see the Nintendo logo. I just love the company!

I have an Xbox for one reason - Halo. None of the other more "mature" titles really do much for me, save Vice City......which I play on my PS2.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Same here. Rev > PS3 > XBox in terms of interest.

Nintendo has promised a complete revolution in features. Sony has promised new features and breakthrough graphics). Microsoft has promised better graphics (which ain't a bad thing, but not as good).

MORE INFO!

STRAIGHT FROM NINTENDO.COM:

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=9594f668-5342-4b38-8eb1-d6bf479c4139&page=other

Sounds good so far :D

19. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I like the small size it will have. It'll show off nicely beside our TV.

20. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

So is this DVD-9, or the same thing media as xbox360? It was my understanding that Revolution and PS3 were slated for late next year. The last rumor I read (http://cube.ign.com/articles/611/611577p1.html) was Revolution will be out by mid next year, and that PS3 will be out before Revolution. Could it be possible that both Revolution and Sony have dropped HD-DVD, or Blue-ray to rush their products to market?

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, this doesn't necessarily mean the Revolution is using DVD-9. All we know is that the Revolution can play DVD media, but that was a given since it could play GameCube games and GameCube games are DVD's.

It might be DVD-9...or it could be a backwards compatible HD-DVD drive.

Nintendo's statements are that they will launch on the same timeframe as Sony and not let the PS3 beat them to the market. The PS3 is supposed to launch in 2006.

However, it should be noted that the PS3's rumored spring 2006 launch is for Japan only, and the US release date will be a while after that, so its possible the PS3 might launch first in Japan and last in US.

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

as long as nintendo has zelda i am all for anything they do. I <3 Nintendo

O_O MMORPG Zelda game >_>

23. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

24. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Nintendo the Apple of video games

"In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer. The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television."

They are describing a PStwo almost exactly. Well, the PStwo is only 2 standard DVD cases thick, 1 inch exactly. 3 DVD cases are 1.5" thick.

"Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive."

I don't think the actual format of disk really matters as Nintendo spokespersons have repeatedly stated that they have absolutely no interest in adding movie or music capabilities. They want a device that is built purely for gaming. Of course a better format means more space, larger levels, and faster loading times.

"self-loading media drive."

Does this mean slot-loading? Can slot-loading drives even load different physical sizes of media?

"In the next generation, the addition of the Internet will be important to all consoles and particularly important to Nintendo. Revolution will be wireless Internet ready out of the box."

I read about this too. Free online gaming, by building a wireless network with your neighbors?!? Sounds like huge security issues. Especially since Nintendo is supposed to be kid friendly. Great feature in the cities, but what about the burbs and even more rural areas.

Even if they never become #1 in the console wars I think Nintendo will have the most original and innovative ideas built into their machine. They refuse to take the same road as Sega. "The day we stop making game hardware is the day we quit the business." You gotta respect that type of thinking.
    Thinking Different.

25. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Thinking different and building a pure gaming device could shoot them in the foot though as the next gen seems to be even more about convergence. Convergence is the only reason Microsoft got into the console business. And that's the reason some software publishers refuse to make games for the xbox. They don't care about games. They're only interested in protecting their monapoly. If you could surf the web and do some basic task on you console without dealing with the blue screen of death why would you put up with Windows at home away from your place of work?