Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
At work, we have a 17" G5 iMac from back before the iSight was put in. We're an Apple shop, so we have the new iMac actually on the floor for people to try out. The old G5 this thread is addressing is up on a shelf, but we want to turn it on as a display model. We plug a temporary mouse and keyboard into it, but the machine never gets past the white Apple screen with the "I'm thinking" animation. After a minute or two, the fan turns on full blast, but the white screen remains without any signs of moving on. What is our problem?

Dan.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I know its not helpful or anything but we've been getting quite a lot of "my iMac (pre-iSight) is buggered up" threads lately.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
BurtonCCC said:
It depends on what that is... haha.

Daniel.

Hold down cmd-s on startup, until you see the black screen with white characters. From here (assuming this works), you can run fsck to check the integrity of the HD's directory. At the prompt, type:

fsck -fy [including the space, return]

If repairs have been reported, run fsck again until no repairs are reported (or it reports that the disk cannot be repaired). If repaired, at the prompt, type:

reboot [return]

I don't know if the source of other iMac booting problems have been isolated, but this is always a good place to start with diagnostics, no matter what kind of Mac you own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.