Pre order Tiger at macmall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IDANNY, Mar 21, 2005.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

2. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I just called them and asked them how many people have ordered he said 39. So i asked if I ordered it would I be one of the first to get it. He said they are shipping it out on june or July.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

June or July?

Could this possibly be a slap in the face to our April 15th rumor?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Whenever it is, I'll be in line at the store to get it with all the other freaks. :D

5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

That makes little sense. A new Production Suite is supposed to be being announced at NAB mid way through April which is dependant upon Tiger, that means pros will have a 2 month wait before the new product is in their hands. It would likely mean that Tiger is going to be announced at WWDC instead.
    To be honest I would be suprised if anyone outside of apple's own retails stores know the date that 10.4 is coming. It isn't outside the realms of possibility that even the apple stores don't know. Looking at the latest Tiger builds and the bug fixes there isn't that much more to do, certainly not enough that it would take 3 months to put it right. However we are quickly running out of time for Tiger to reach Gold status and be ready for shipping mid April.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the People at the Apple stores are amon the last to find out about new products. They tend to find out about these things on the day of announcement. Sometimes they will know the day before that they have a new product waiiting in the nack, but they will be wrapped up so nobody in the store knows what is in the boxes.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Unless they are offering a noticable discount, most people who want their copy of Tiger quickly will wait until Apple announces Tiger and opens up the ordering process.

This of course presumes Apple does the usual thing of announcing the release date a couple of weeks before.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Friday my boss said to me that she ordered me a copy of Tiger. I was confused and told her it hasn't been released yet. She told our Apple Rep that we need 53 copies. As soon as the apple rep can put in an order, he will. He knows we are good for the money and will pay as soon as he bills us. This way we are one of the first to get it when it is released. I'm so excited.

9. gopher macrumors 65816

There has been talk of a Quicktime 7 for Panther. Perhaps that's what will run the new apps from NAB. Tiger can come later you know. I'd rather Tiger come out later and be better debugged.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm going to treat this the same way I treated the Amazon reports of a Tiger release date - it's just an educated guess, nothing more. If I pre-ordered from Mac Mall today, I wouldn't be surprised if Tiger shipped as early as April 15 or as late as June 24 (or anywhere in between).

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

That could be true but it is, as I understand it, the Core Video and Core Image technologies that are fundermental to the new real time and graphics elements. H.264 is also a fundermental feature of Quicktime 7 and apple's own material states that as a Tiger feature. Quicktime 7 and Tiger go hand in hand, both need each other to be fully utilised. There is little incentive to apple to provide QT7 for Panther, they want people to upgrade the OS.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Nevertheless there will be versions of QT7 for Panther and probably Jaguar, as well as Windows 98/2K/XP, at least if Apple follows their historical QuickTime pattern.

13. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I'm sure apple will provide QT7 for both earlier versions of OS X and Windows but I honestly feel as far as the pro apps go they will need Tiger as a whole not just some of the new codecs and graphics tweaks. All QT7 has to do for most users is play interactive content and allow files to be saved for those that go for the pro version. FCP, DVD SP and Motion are fully dependant upon QT for more than this. I'm happy to be wrong I'll be upgrading to Tiger anyway so it is a irrelevant to me, I think most pro users will get Tiger as it is such a fundermental overhaul in all departments. The only question is will it be reliable, as apple have had a long time to iron out the bugs I think the fundermentals will be sound at least.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I never believed it anyway. Just over 3 weeks away? No...

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i doubt macmall has any idea when it will be released and are just giving a conservative shipping date to cover their butts

but im leaning toward a later release anyways...