pre-paid verizon phone with unlimited data=iPod Touch as phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iperson21, Sep 20, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

do you think this would work guys?
    get an i760 samsung phone off of ebay, take it to verizon and tell them you waant pre-paid minutes (the smallest amount possible) and that you want the unlimited data plan on it also.
    then using a wifi tether, (i did find one for windows phones) use it to connect google voice on my future iPtouch and use that as my phone?
    i want to do this because i want a smartphone but not for so much money.

2. macrumors newbie

Do you not have wifi available? Another option is using skype - I pay $2.99 for unlimited calls in the us to any land line / cell phone.

Bill

3. macrumors member

wifi isn't everywhere, this person wants to have it with them at all times, not just at home or where a wifi network is available

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work, so long as the data plan is usable on a prepaid connection (I've seen some operators that won't add data plans to prepaid, but I don't know about Verizon).

Also, make sure that your i760 is originally from Verizon because I've heard that Verizon will not activate "foreign" phones.

5. macrumors newbie

Virgin mobile has a mifi router and for $40/mo you get unlimited 3G data that creates a wifi hotspot wherever you go.

Or if you're Lucky enough and you have clearwire in your area they support 4G and have the iSpot that has unlimited data for $25/mo. This is the route I'm going :D