Pre-Register For VMWare On OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IscariotJ, Aug 7, 2006.

1. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2004
    Haven't seen this posted anywhere, so, if anyone is interested, VMWare are now accepting submissions for a beta of an OSX VM product ( link - ). It doesn't say which product it is, but I'm guessng from the screenshots and headlines that it will be WorkStation.

I've also read in a couple of places, that a new product will be announced by VMWare today. With the date, it has to be a Mac product.
  2. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    cant wait till it comes out... i know someone that works there (VMWare) and might get me a copy when it is released :D
  3. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
  4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004
    Yep, signed up not too long ago. Can't wait for the release :)
  5. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    It's a program that allows you to install an operating system in a virtual computer, running in another operating system.

Currently VMWare exists for Windows and Linux. Other programs like it are Virtual PC and Parallels.

More information about VMWare on
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    a software like virtual pc, allow you to run other OS (virtually) on the top of your native OS.
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah i really don't know the difference. I only hope it's cheaper than Parallels.
  8. Squareball macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Having competition means that one of them will surely lower the price (my guess... Parallels).

So it should be good for us! Having VMWare available is a huge thing as well. My company would like to have dev servers setup in VMWare virtual machines so we can just give them out to the developers and everything just works.. instead of having to configure a server stack on everyone's machines which is VERY time consuming.
  9. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2002
    Somewhere out there
    It would be nice of competition brought out improved features, such as better video support.

In the case of VMWare, it will bring virtual SMP and 64-bit OS support, even on machines that do not support it.

Max ( POST 500!!! )
  10. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Remember VMWare "Player" is free, as is Virtual PC (for Windows only). Parallels (for Windows/Linux) is still $50. My guess will be they won't go any lower than $50 for Parallels for Mac, but will have made some money during the time where they were the only solution on the market, and one endorsed by Apple in their ads.