Pre-sale question about warranty ... stuff

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonkemerer, Jan 2, 2007.

1. jonkemerer macrumors member

Hi:

I gotta Q, sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask this, please move if so.

A buddy of mine has been thinking about getting an iMac through amazon.com w/ their rebate and whatnot. But is hesitant after being told somewhere that if he ever had a problem with an Apple computer bought online he'd have to mail it back, but I'm of the belief that he should be able to just take to a local Apple store...

Who's right? I'm curious to know myself, as I'm planning on getting one shortly as well.

Thanks much in advance!,

- Jon k.

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Just goes in to his local apple store as long as it is under the one year warranty. After that, it still goes there, but he has to pay.

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Your friend can also buy AppleCare at any time during the initial 1 yr warranty period, and that will also be honored by any authorized Apple service department.

4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Apple can send him a box to mail in his computer or he can bring it into any store. The mailing in is usually a result of calling Applecare which he gets 90 days to do for free then pays for each call thereafter. The 90 days of calling is part of the standard warranty. With Applecare, he can call them all he wants for 3 years. He still has one year to bring it into the stores.

5. jonkemerer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, you answered my questions and then some, much appreciated :)

6. Kodex macrumors member

The only diffrence is you will not be able to return or exchange your computer in an apple retail store. If you machine is DOA and you want a new one it will have to go through Amazon, however you will be able to have your machine repaired at any apple store.