Predict the 2002 Oscars

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Academy Awards are this Sunday. Whoever guesses the most winners gets bragging rights. I challenge anyone who wants to play.

My predictions in the 24 categories are:

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis
    Actress: Nicole Kidman
    Adapted Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman and Donald Kaufman
    Animated Feature Film: Spirited Away
    Animated Short Film: Mike's New Car
    Art Direction: Gangs of New York
    Cinematography: Far from Heaven
    Costume Design: Chicago
    Director: Rob Marshall
    Documentary Feature: Bowling for Columbine
    Documentary Short Subject: Mighty Times: The Legacy of Rosa Parks
    Film Editing: Gangs of New York
    Foreign Language Film: Nowhere in Africa
    Live Action Short Film: Inja (Dog)
    Makeup: Frida
    Original Score: The Hours
    Original Screenplay: Talk to Her
    Original Song: The Hands That Built America
    Picture: Chicago
    Sound: Chicago
    Sound Effects Editing: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper
    Supporting Actress: Catherine Zeta-Jones
    Visual Effects: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

2. vniow macrumors G4

Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago
    Chicago

Just a little biased.

3. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Re: Predict the Oscars

I couldn't tell you who was going to win best lighting or costumes of whatever. here's the categories i care/know anything about:

Actor: Jack Nicholson- About Schmidt
    Actress: Julianne Moore- Far From Heaven
    Adapted Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman and Donald Kaufman- Adaptation
    Art Direction: Gangs of New York
    Director: Roman Polanski- The Pianist
    Documentary Feature: Bowling for Columbine
    [Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper- Adaptation
    Supporting Actress: Meryl Streep- Adaptation
    Picture: The Pianist

>EDIT: sorry, vniow. it's not that i didn't like chicago, please don't hate me.

4. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

vniow, you only voted in 22 categories. In which two don't you predict a win by Chicago?

Renee and Catherine were both pretty animated, so I guess Chicago qualifies in the Best Animation categories. It can be in the Live Action Short Films category because it's a film about live shows with plenty of action and short dresses. The screenplay was adapted, so it might not qualify for the Best Original Screenplay category, even with write-in votes, but the movie named In Old Chicago was nominated for Best Original Screenplay in the 1937 Oscars, so maybe that's good enough.

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    hmmm.....

jack has a really good chance for about schmidt

gangs of ny may get left out because of the backlash over their publicity shenanigans.

hope charlie kaufman wins.

BTW, everyone knows there really is no donald kaufman, right?

if charlie wins, does he get two oscars anyway?....;)

and chris cooper better win...brilliant performance.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I predict another chace for the bland and vacuous to slap each other on the back, some tears, a few semi-opaque dresses for the pimply set to drool over tomorrow and a really tedious night of TV for the rest of us.

(Did that come over as too cynical? I get worried that people mis-read my posts sometimes)

:D :D :D

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Earthlink Poll:

Which film should win the Best Picture Oscar this year?
    Response Count Percent
    CHICAGO 2164 25%
    GANGS OF NEW YORK 408 5%
    THE HOURS 334 4%
    THE LORD OF THE RINGS-THE TWO TOWERS 5227 61%
    THE PIANIST 503 6%

I voted for "The Lord of The Ring" :)

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I am not biased "really" but the Twin Towers should sweep all catagories and if not well what do you expect from a bunch of hollywood liberals. OOOOOOhhhh i feel the flame.

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The Oscar awards show is over, so those who care can compare their predictions to the actual results. I predicted 13 awards correctly and 11 incorrectly. I got over 50%, which I think is pretty good.

vniow seemed to know what she was talking about, picking Chicago for Best Picture and the 5 other awards it won. Of course, she apparently picked it for a few it didn't win too.

trebblekicked was right about Best Director (Roman Polanski), Best Documentary Feature (Bowling for Columbine), and Best Supporting Actor (Chris Cooper). The latter two were the leading nominees, but most so-called experts said Polanski was a longshot compared to Rob Marshall for Chicago. Good call!

3rdpath was correct about Chris Cooper winning and about Gangs of New York losing. Gangs went 0 for 10!

Sorry, wdlove, but The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers only won 2 of 6 and not Best Picture. Dont Hurt Me was technically correct, since the film named Twin Towers won Best Documentary Short Subject, but you probably meant Lord of the Rings too.

WinterMute was right about the back slapping (including me congratulating myself and the rest of you who participated).

So that's it for this year. See you next year!

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

man michael moore was AWESOME tonite!

it was all about the pianist (chicago sucks :p vniow...i just hate it!)!
    roman polanski deserved the award as well :D

11. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Certainly some surprises tonight, which makes for great theater!

I hate to say it, but I think Michael Moore was far from awsome tonight. I've been a longtime fan, and I know that he figured he wouldn't get the Oscar, so he was as surprised as anyone. He should have left it at that, and recieved it with grace. Instead, (and don't get me wrong, *I* certainly didn't vote for Bush!) he trashed the president of the United States. Keep it for the screen and not for a night of honor, Michael..it's what you do best and why we love you. Take a lesson from Peter O'Toole...a class act all the way.

I think the vast majority of the audence that night agreed with me.

All in all, a great night, perfectly timed out, lots of great old and new actors to see and pay tribute to, genuine surprise, and our host was fairly funny, although he did a better job the last time. And the only catagory I really cared about, Best Cinematography, went to the gentleman (RIP) who did Road to Perdition. Excellent, just excellent. :)

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Best Picture: My ass.

It's better than all those crap films!

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Michael Moore just proved to America the @$$hole he is. Yes, he has freedom of speech, but to say what he said deserved him to get booed off the stage (if what I hear is correct).

All that he needed to say is somthing like this: "While I may not agree with our president, I just hope that all goes well in Iraq, and that our troops come home safely". Not "We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in a time where we have fictitious election results, that elect a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons" and whatever else he said. Just because gore didn't get elected, and everything didn't go his way doesn't mean he has to denounce the president on live TV world wide. Is this really a nation split in two? Or is this a nation with a couple of idiots like moore trying to completely denounce our president.

I don't see how he can make a documentary on Columbine, yet still be so out of touch with the reality of thsi war, and so radical with his political views.

Oh, by the way, isn't roman polanski a rapist???

Hollywood is so liberal... I guess they just like their 'fictitious world' they live in. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to turn this into a political thread, I just thought that Michael Moore was a loser, and this was the only thread it would fit in. I didn't watch the oscars. To much anti-war and anti-bush crap for my liking...

14. Macette macrumors 6502

G4Scott, you were right not to watch. You would have hated it. It's always best not to expose yourself to things that might challenge your political views.

Actors (and directors, editors, cinematographers etc etc etc), are creative people who think that there are more creative ways to solve international problems than unilaterally bombing the bejesus out of everyone (watch out North Korea).

OMG, I should just shutupnow.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

Roman Polanski was not present at the awards ceremony because he's living in another country...if he stepped foot into the US, he would be arrested for drugging and raping a 13 year old girl years ago. Yes i know this but he is a gifted director and The Pianist was an amazing movie.
    I agree with all of you, Michael Moore's way of saying that he did not like the war was not necessarily the best one but it was the one that got the most amount of attention (compared to Adrien Brody and Susan Sarandon). He did not get booed off the stage, surprisingly most of the audience were clapping, yes clapping for him and a rare few actually booed him, especially a man with a pretty loud voice.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I made a phone call to my local ABC station to voice my displeasure. Also did not watch the Oscar party. It's amazing that those that live in a "fictitous world" think that the rest of us will pay any attention to them. Through their pockets they might listen, Susan Serandon et al will not get a dollar of mine!

17. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Hmmm. Didn't seem that way to me -- I thought it seemed more evenly split, or slightly more people booing.

I think Steve Martin did a great hosting job.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Steve was in a very tough situation, made the best of a bad situation.

The Hollywood Elite live in their ivory tower, they have now grasp of reality. They are to used to playing imaginary parts!

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

there was no doubt about Steve Martin's performance last night...however the applause/booing by the audience fo Michael Moore was not really evenly split. After listening to his impromptu anti-war speech many more times it sounds like more clapping and support than booing.

20. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Compared to previous years, I thought the crowd sounded a little subdued at the start of the show, until the political statements started. I attributed this less festive mood to the war. But somebody told me that the Kodak theater doesn't hold as big a crowd as previous venues like the Shrine Auditorium, which could also explain why the crowd seemed quieter than most years.

The presenters were the same people we seem to see every year, but I noticed that of the 36 people who won Oscars this year, only 6 had won Oscars before (David Lee, Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Alex Funke, Conrad L. Hall, and Pedro Almodóvar), none in the biggest categories. It was nice to have some new winners this year.

I agree that Steve Martin had a really tough job and that he handled it well.

21. szark macrumors 68030

szark

The Kodak Theatre holds slightly more people than the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, but much less than the Shrine Auditorium. I was amazed that they didn't make their new theatre larger.