Predicting new fullscreen iPod soon

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iWinnipegger, Jan 10, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    i'm expecting a new iPod Fullscreen touch in Q2 or even Q1, cuz think about, they've already developed the technology for it, and it wouldn't really compete with the iPhone because the iPhone only has 4 or 8GB storage, the iPhone isn't really meant to be a Media player but more of an iPod nano combined with a phone,

4 or 8GB isn\t enough to hold your music library or your Movie collection, they\ve got the technology for it, because they're still working with the phone aspect of the iPhone,

plus we havn't really seen a new iPod release yet, since 5.5 and that wasn't really different from 5.0, i'm gunna guess maybe end of Q1, and with this new fullscreen iPod we can finally end the Zune!! alaso guessing it will have wifi capability but no idea, also i'm hoping for a 100GB or 120GB model, and maybe a 16GB model..
  2. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    nope, the key is
    "iPhone is available in 4 and 8GB models"

if they released an "iPod Touch" with 30 60 and 100 GB storage, they wouldn'r really compete

iPhone: phone, internet commuicator with built in iPod Nano
    iPod Touch: media player
  4. macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    The two would never compete considering you need a contract for the iPhone and an iPod at 500 dollars would probably be at 80-100 gigs of space. If someone wants an mp3 and is going to drop 500 you better be sure they are looking for space. Same goes for someone dropping 500-600 on a phone, they want the phone capabilities, not necessarily a media player.
  5. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    It's really just a matter of time now.
    I think Apple would be wise to get a 100 or 120GB iPod with widescreen touch on the market before the iPhone is released...get people really juiced about that sexy interface. Make 'em want the phone, too.
  6. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2006
    No, they key point is thqt they announced products for Q2 already.., and even the Apple TV got it's debut 4 months before it came out..

I'd expect it in 08 tho..
  7. macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2004
    I actually disagree. From what I've seen around on forums, people seem much more psyched about all the media/internet capabilities of the iPhone, rather than the phone itself. So, if a similar iPod was released before the iPhone it seems like it would draw attention away from it. But who knows.
  8. macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    hopefully by the end of Q1, the ipod is due for a major revision
  9. macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Well, personally I'm hoping for a Q1 introduction. My wallet doesn't agree; if this comes out, the dSLR may just have to wait...
  10. macrumors 68020

Sep 11, 2006
    Sacramento, CA USA
    My guess on release date of fullscreen iPod: September 2007, the usual month for a hardware "refresh" of iPod models. It will off 16:10 aspect ratio, touchscreen controls, and either 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive storage capacity.
  11. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    I was crossing my fingers for the full screen video all morning yesterday. I was disappointed and amazed at the same time. I dont want the phone just the player, I think it will come out in September.
  12. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    I think it'll be more towards September too, like it has been for the last two years.

Then they can use July and August for the "Free iPod with Computer Purchase" promo (aimed at the back to school kids) to clear out the inventory.

I think the iPhone/Apple TV was the big event for the beginning of the year, to be followed by Leopard/iLife/iWork sometime in Q2, then iPods when they're normally updated.
  13. macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Maybe Apple would even target college students with a "Buy a Mac, get $200 off an iPhone" -- I'd jump at that if I were in college or entering.
  14. macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    thanks captian obvious lol. although i think it may be 3rd or 4th quarter when it is released
  15. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2007
    Q3 or Q4 ?!!?

aw i cannot take it its so long away! oh well. there's nothing we can do about it but wait. :(
  16. macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    probably is just a matter of time.
  17. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    fullscreen iPod

Yeah, wouldn't it make sense to release the fullscreen iPod sometime soon? I mean, the Zune has a widescreen mode, and Apple has developed the tech. for the iPhone, so why not? As long as it's a large capacity model (it would have to be) then it wouldn't steal the iPhone's thunder.
    Also, I'd like to see a camera and wireless connectivity(for sharing somewhat Zune style) to make it a true multimedia device, but this would make it a large capacity iPhone without cellular service.
  18. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2007
    They should definitly get on it before another mp3 player company does. Don't want there thunder stolen.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    What's the next event again? Paris? Hell, there's a chance that they'll make it a special event now. I mean, all the information about the GUI and stuff has pretty much been discussed with the iPhone.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    is this a brave prediction??

their is outcry because this phone is coming before the true video ipod... though there is still 5 months to reverse that truth... this being the case i believe it will be sooner rather than later...

and i like iPod Touch for the name. haven't heard that one yet.
  21. macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    I think Apple will release it whenever they are done. Apple has said that they would be moving away from "let's release everything at big events". They have five months to finish/tidy up the iPod before the iPhone comes out.
  22. Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
  23. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2006
    I really want to see a fullscreen touchscreen iPod, with the web browsing features of the iPhone. I believe that we'll definitely see one at least by Sept. I would love to get that phone, but I refuse to join Cingular to get it.
  24. macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2006
    Denver, CO
    No way. No way will it be Q3. It will be out before the iPhone is available in June.

Apple chose the release order quite intentionally. It's better to come out with a gigantic keynote that generates GOBBS of press with an all-new device that does all these amazing things than it is to say "Here's a widescreen iPod. Now here's an Apple phone. Now here's a fullscreen iPod that's also a phone..."

They announced this 6 months early so they could get that splash, and now they'll use the next 5 months to trickle out the gadgets that use one or two of the technoogoies included in the iPhone.

No way are they waiting for Q3, when a million other companies could gain some ground.

No way.
  25. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Gain ground how?

I don't think any company's going to be able to look at what Apple did this Tuesday, say "Gee, let's do that with our MP3 player", incorporate it into their products and get it on store shelves anytime this year.

It'd take too long to design, test, source parts (how many touchscreen manufacturers are there?), and get ready for mass assembly, wouldn't it?